• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silly Liftgate Question

Scorpion8

NAXJA Forum User
Huh, my rear liftgate won't open. I can hear the lock cycling when you insert the key, but it will not open (even barely) when you try to open it from the outside. Any suggested ideas to get it open so I can pull the rear inside door panel off and check over the lock mechanism and alignment? Pry bar underneath?

hammertime.gif

I've heard you can take vise grips and unscrew the two bolts holding the bottom latch on. You should be able to access them from the underside of the rear cross member.

Also, I'll move this thread to OEM tech.

You may have to just bite the bullet and pull the lower part of the inner door panel away from the door while it is in the closed position, reach in and pull the release rod. Chances are the release rod is out of adjustment.

Mine did the same thing and it just needed to be oiled pretty bad. While pulling the handle take your left hand and firmly tap on the bottom left hand corner of the liftgate about 4-6 inches from the edges. Work your way back and forth and see of that works. My neighbor has an xj and his did this exact same thing. Once it is open pull the panel and make sure everything is lubed really well.

Mine came out of adjustment a couple times before, if you push in on the tail gate hold it in while gently pull the handle, then hold the handle open while you lift it you may be able to get it open. Use enough force to get the pressure off the latch.

Another trick, but you risk damaging paint and stuff, is to put a screwdriver under the top of the handle assembly, and try to bend it away from the hatch. What happens over many times of pulling up on the handle, is that the entire assembly slowly twists upward, which in effect means you can't open the handle as far. Prying it back down can help you get it open.

Once it's open, remove the inner panel while it's open and adjust it.

Back