• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD build

joejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I searched and couldn't find anything for what I'm looking for. So I'm about to build another XJ. However most of the XJ's on here I see built are dedicated trail rigs. What I need is a combination daily driver that includes occassional long highway trips but being reasonably offroad capable. I don't do much offroad but I do live 20 miles out of town on dirt roads that turn to mud when it rains and absolute s*** when it snows. I'm starting with a bone stock 1995 2 door sport with the AX-15 Dana 30/35 and the 4.0. Looking to end up with around 4 inches of lift with 31x10.50 MT's, locked rear, bumpers, winch etc. Standard beginner XJ build. What are some things I am not considering?

with that much lift i would get bigger tires. or a smaller lift and that sized tire. just my opinion. for a DD i wouldnt put a winch on it especially if you dont offroad much. thats just extra weight for the bumper and worse aerodynamics (ha on a toaster oven shaped vehicle).
over all, lose the winch, and go with bigger tires or less lift. you may want to re-gear too

I am in your shoes....I am in the process of building my Jeep up with 31's and a few goodies...

Mine is a '99 2dr 4L auto with the 30/35 meal deal...

I am doing a lot of homework on here and came up with some options myself. I will be only running 31's with a Limited slip front and rear...The budget does not allow me to splure for gears or lockers, so I will have to keep the 35 for now.

My plan is a simple build too, I am considering a RE 3.5" lift or the Full Traction 3.5" lift. I have a email out to full traction asking them their spring rate on the front coils, I want to error on the better on road ride than ultimate 4x4 king. I plan on using Old Man Emu shocks for the added ride quality

The Jeep has new rear springs in it already (previous owner) so I would like to go with the Full Traction lift with a shackle if need be, but I am on the fence with this.....I will wait to get the feedback from FT and find out what their front coil rate is and then go from there.

Lots of options when lifting a Jeep, just do as much research as possible! it will pay off!

4.0 aw4 running a 6+ lift with 33s locked front lsd rear 4.10s d30/8.8 no sway bars... thats my DD and will do 80 down the freeway no problem. going to go to 35s when i can. i DD'ed on 37s in my old yota clawler and it wasnt bad other then the odly worn tire i had

3 inchs, 31's front bumper yes, winch bumper no. rear bumper yes, sliders are a must. regearing is easy when you have the 5 speed. find a cherokee with an automatic and tow package to get 3.73's and swap axles. done and its cheap! try and find a chrystler 8.25 to swap not a D35

3 inchs, 31's front bumper yes, winch bumper no. rear bumper yes, sliders are a must. regearing is easy when you have the 5 speed. find a cherokee with an automatic and tow package to get 3.73's and swap axles. done and its cheap! try and find a chrystler 8.25 to swap not a D35

agree with everything but the axle part. its not always that easy to find the axle/gear combo in your area. some people have the 4cyl 5 speed xj's in their area and can get 4.10's easy but some of us will never see that jeep cause they were never popular in the area. your idea would be the best case scenario, but in reality i think the OP should budget for a regear.

JoeJeep 3 years ago I was wanting the same, great on road ride (my yard stick was my 2000 Disco 2), and equally good off road. And for me I think I have found it, after three years would no change a thing.

I started hear (NAXJA) and this is the route I took,

4.5 Clayton long arm (radius style same as Land Rover) great ride on the street and hi-way about 80 mile a day) with their rear springs and shackles plus Bilstein shocks. The articulation is amazing and the Best customer service going.
Stock 30 and 8.25 LSD with 4.56 gears and SYE kit it run 31 and 33.
Iron scorpion front bumper, with the quick mount for the winch DX9000i this the 3rd truck its been on.
Detours rear bumper, and rock sliders.
I am really happy with want I have, off road its amazing where it will go, I follow fellows on 35 and at times they a hard time following me.

You might also want to figure in a SYE, you might not need one after the lift, but you never know and it doesn't hurt to plan ahead, also consider a V8 ZJ tierod upgrade and an adjustable trackbar.

with that much lift i would get bigger tires. or a smaller lift and that sized tire. just my opinion. for a DD i wouldnt put a winch on it especially if you dont offroad much. thats just extra weight for the bumper and worse aerodynamics (ha on a toaster oven shaped vehicle).
over all, lose the winch, and go with bigger tires or less lift. you may want to re-gear too
i would have to disagree. i have the RE 4.5" super flex kit and ran 31s for years. even open/open it was/is a blast to wheel when you get the chance. 31s look just fine especially if your are planning to keep the stock flares:

38933_104884306232661_100001332774399_36451_3038716_n.jpg

even with some mild trimming its nice. youve got plenty of room to stuff the tires without it looking retarded:
45794_112783742109384_100001332774399_80900_8296986_n.jpg

to the OP, i would suggest something as a complete kit at that height in order to not compromise your ride quality. new uppers/lower, coils, break lines, adjustable trac bar... leafs, shackles, rear lines. you can piece it together junkyard style but if your like me and drive almost 15k miles a year you will thank yourself for the money invested. and if you ever decide to take the next step itll be a great base to start with.

as for tire size... 31s do the job. anything bigger and i would suggest regearing especially for a DD. if your not up to spending that coin then i think you have your answer on tire size. SYE or a hack and tap is a good option as well. again, you will thank yourself.

Mine is a DD. I am 4" lift with OME and 31's (3.55 diff). I am going 33's with 4.56 gearig- cut and trim. Get bumpers, gas skid, under belly along with a well-designed lift. Call Dirk @ DPG Offroad, sponcer, also in KS. Great service along with advice.

ZJ V8 "G"-code coils and an extra isolater up front...
Full length AAL or top 2 leafs out of a junked stock XJ...
Full set of bar-pin eliminators or a set of JK take-off shocks...
30/9.50x15 MT/Rs on your stock wheels and no need to regear...

DONE!

Back