• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hatch release is broken, how can I open it

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
my brother just picked up a 2001 XJ, unfortunately he never checked wether the hatch worked or not and we can't get it open. we have tried everything. The lock works but when you pull on the handle it feels like the sticker is just missing the mark. Does anyone know how to jimmy the hatch open anyway. I really don't want to destroy the interior either. thanks

You can with a lot of swearing and a long sleeve shirt pull the hatch trim back and get behind it with a screwdriver and pop it open. NOT fun but doable without breaking anything.

crawl in the cargo area and grab the trim panel in the middle at the bottom of the glass and give it a couple of quick tugs and the clips will pop free.
You can then reach your arm down in there and move the latch over releasing the lock and open it.

Then adjust the linkage per the write ups.

I have never tried this, but last time I was into my hatch, (cause it had this problem) it looked like one could stick something flat and flexy into an opening under the handle on the right side and get it to push down on the thing that the handle is meant to push on a bit harder. The mechanism is very simple. (When you lock the door all you are doing is sliding the thing the handle pushes on to a spot where it has a notch.)
So I would get a 1/8in stack of strips of paper and tape the ends together in a bundle. Then slide them into the opening under the handle and try the handle while pushing the door closed to help take the load off.
Like I said I have not tried this but it looked like it would work.
Once you get the hatch open it will be much easier to adjust like the other links show.

Mine loves to do this, when you pull the handle out, give a light to medium punch to the area right about the handle, license plate pretty much, and if should pop open.

Back