• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'TOO wide' on a D30????

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
so here is whats up.
1990 waggy RE 3.5"SF 30/8.25 the wheels are soft8 15x8's 4"BS and 33x12.50 BFG a/t's
here is how it sits:
f57a4b97.jpg

so today i test fit my beadlocks.

020355e2.jpg

Waggy wheels 15x10 with THICK weld on beadlock ring. tire will mount at basically 11" to 11-1/2" wide

notice considerable width difference (sorry i know, no tires yet :banghead:)
a0def2e4.jpg

i plan on runnin the soft 8's with a/t's for DD purpose and putting on the beadlocks (and soon to be 35" kevlars) for wheeling purposes.

BUT
i had also planned on running wheel spacers for both DD and trail use.
aside from the obvious destroying of unit bearings, is there other serious side effects i need to consider?
saying 'its gonna drive goofy/weird' isnt what im looking for, its a lifted jeep, of course it drives weird lol...

thanks guys

I run 33x13.5x15 toyos on 10" wide rims with alot of back spacing. I like the stability I feel on the road/trail. Only issue I have noticed is you need to watch out for deep puddles when it rains. Pulls hard to what ever side hit the puddle due to how wide the tire is. When I used to put on the 31x10.5's for inspection it felt very tippy at 4.5" lift. I had gotten so use to the stability I can never go back. I'm sure it wears out wheel bearings faster but well worth it all to me.

before flares:
0902071445qv2.jpg

OM NOM NOM WHEEL BEARINGS

ball joint life will suffer too.

the larger the tire and wider the tire and low backspacing/width all contribute in added wear and tear.

and keep in mind that when turning, your wheelbase on one side will be longer than wheelbase on the other side and you might have tire fitment issues.

i would also brace the inner c's. and run quality ball joints fo sure. keep the jumpin to a miniumum. lotsa leverage on those dana30 parts

Last edited:
OM NOM NOM WHEEL BEARINGS
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ya i will be putting in all new wheel bearings and Ball joints with warranties so they are free to replace, just takes a lil time to do so.

front will be trussed and inner C's will be gusseted as well to try and help beef it up.

the front axle will be getting pushed about 1-1/2" forward to help a bit. i know the arc of the tire when turning is gonna be SUPER wide, but im cool with that

the idea of being super wide, with 35's on 3.5" lift makes me all warm and tingly inside lol

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ya i will be putting in all new wheel bearings and Ball joints with warranties so they are free to replace, just takes a lil time to do so.

front will be trussed and inner C's will be gusseted as well to try and help beef it up.

the idea of being super wide, with 35's on 3.5" lift makes me all warm and tingly inside lol

copycat

but siriusly. i have never encountered quality ball joints with a lifetime warranty. if you do, let me know.

duracrap isnt quality.

i only run spicer or moog

but siriusly. i have never encountered quality ball joints with a lifetime warranty. if you do, let me know.

duracrap isnt quality.

i only run spicer or moog
moog offers 6month dont they?

and i keep telling you i thought your rig was sex, but ill still be taller than you were WTF?! lol

I ran 35's on a set of 15x10 wheels, also had a lot of offset and beads welded on. Crapped out one set of hub bearings, that was the only issue I ever had. They were so wide my MTR's looked square.

103_1091.jpg

0802091732a.jpg

moog offers 6month dont they?

and i keep telling you i thought your rig was sex, but ill still be taller than you were WTF?! lol

not from napa anyway.

i think i have moog hds in my 44.

i'm at like 4.5" now. the front was always there on the black xj, i just brought the back up level. ill never go any higher though.

last xj was the low one, about 2.5" with 37's

X1994J that thing looks good man, i like the thick rings on the beadlocks!

KTM, ya i wish i coulda seen that one in person. when you guys coming back to CO for some more wheeling? we will have to hit patriot next time

KTM, ya i wish i coulda seen that one in person. when you guys coming back to CO for some more wheeling? we will have to hit patriot next time

not sure.

might be in a tj though.

yea, new money pit...

but ill be back

Why run a 15x10 wheel with a 12.5" wide tire? My 35" kevlars fit perfect on 15x8. My wheels have 3.3" BS so they stick out pretty damn far, but I like the way it looks and rides, so I have no problem with it.

I'm at 4.5-5" now with 35's and my fenders don't exactly like it. More trimming is definitely in order. I've got almost brand new Spicer wheel bearings and 3 out of 4 ball joints are new (2 spicer, 1 from Carquest) so we'll see how long those take to wear out. Definitely need to get some bracing on the inner C's and get that truss on that I have sitting around. Winter projects I guess.

Why run a 15x10 wheel with a 12.5" wide tire?
why not?
i think with beadlocks i would prefer the extra width. non beadlocks i would stay with 8" wide
plus the beadlocks i practically stole for what i payed.
this isnt so much a is 10" wide ok, cuz i know it is, i was seeing with how wide they were if there was any reason i shouldnt run wheel spacers as well. it seems that answer is no. so tack another 1.25-1.5" on to how far out that wheel sticks. then a 12.50 tire, and ill be sitting pretty

i ended up with X1994J's beadlocks with 35" km2s. i destoyed timken wheel bearings and duracrap balljoints with them. i ended up putting spicer balljoints in and doing a hub conversion.

my rig has way too much leverage on my D30, i expect it to spit unit bearings pretty frequently.

Im running 37x14.50's on a 10" wheel with 1.5" spacer. im looking for 35x12.50's, but thats another story.

Theres alot to be said for name brand parts, make sure you've got high end ball joints. as long as you aren't jumping it you'll be fine.

IMG_3083.jpg

Back