• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where should I mount my backup lights?

keith_b00ne

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering where to mount my backup lights on my XJ. I can't put them on top of the bumper because it interferes with the hatch opening. I can't put them in the bumper, because it is stock and I am afraid that cutting on it will severely weaken it. Can't put them under the bumper because I would just tear them off. I really don't want to drill through my roof and have them sticking in the air. I thought about putting them inside of the rear hatch as my best option. Anyone have any creative suggestions?

Mount them on the hatch. Think about Aurora reverse light setups. Im sure you could make something like that. Or at least position them in a similar way.

Gojeep's website has a How To on adding Aurora reverse lights in the hatch. Looks smooth and stock when done properly. That'd be your best bet

The Aurora light mod will work great on a 96- but will take a bit more thought and modification on a 97+ since you have to relocate some support/stiffening struts inside the hatch shell.

My vote is for Aurora, here's mine.
GetAttachment1.jpg

GetAttachment12.jpg

x2... if you don't like the aurora lights, cut into that stock bumper.

With the stock bumper removed from the vehicle I can easily twist and warp it with my hands. It's maybe 12 or 14 gauge steel at the most.

Mount it in the bumper for now until you get a new bumper then figure out other placement. The bumper doesnt have any strength anyway so no point in being worried about weakening it more.

I'm thinking about mounting mine inside the Jeep at the upper corners of the hatch opening ans shinning through the rear glass. That way the lights are up high but still protected from being ripped of the Jeep.

I just bought some aurora on ebay cheap. You need to cut holes in the metal hatch for the back of the light, but I think it would look good.

I think I may get AJ's rear tire carrier and he has a built in light option. same with JCR.

Its an oldsmobile man, the only place they're easy to find IS the junk yard. lol
:roflmao: so true.

A friend of mine found something like four or five of them in the junkyard on an all-you-can-carry day recently... they are not something that really breaks often, so if you can find an aurora it probably has it still unless there are a lot of XJ wheelers in your area.

I picked up 2 sets of the Aurora lights for 3$ each at our local junk yard. Question on the wiring. I have already installed an aux fuse panel for my accessories. Do I need to run more power to the back or will the stock wiring be able to handle the load of the Aurora lights?

Back