• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting issue

Illeagle

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have a 91 cherokee withthe 4.0 and auto trans. Lately it has been giving me some issues with starting. I will crank it and you can hear the starter spin but wont engage (I dont think). I will move the shifter and retry and sometimes that works. Other times I have to put it in gear and roll it a bit then put back in park and try to start it and it will start. Just looking for some ideas of what to look for. Oh by the way I do know Neutral Sensing Switch acts up on it because even b4 this issue started I would have to move the shifter from park to neutral then back to park for it to start.

if the starter is spinning the NSS has nothing to do with it. it sounds like the solenoid that kicks the starter gear out to make it contact the ring gear on the flexplate has taken a crap. replace the solenoid, or the whole starter. sometimes the solenoids themselves can be as much as a remanufactured starter.

Also please try to keep the tech questions in the tech forums, that's what they're there for. Welcome to NAXJA :wave1:

is there a year range that will/wont work with my 91? Also are there "brands" that I should stay away from and others that are preferred?

I think they are all the same (for the same engine) - just get a rebuilt from a starter/alternator rebuild place. I did on in my 96 a couple of months ago - 5 minute job to swap it out.

Back