• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solution for gear oil leak

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Swapped an HP D30 with 4.10s into my 2001 XJ. Axle came from a 1996, so it has the vaccuum disconnect. We bypassed the disconnect and used the axle shafts from my 2001 axle. When we did the install, we installed a seal at the end of the long (passenger side) axle tube at the point where the tube empties into the differential.

It appears that the fit isn't 100% because I am getting gear oil draining out of the axle tube and pooling under the axle shaft u-joint. So, it is getting past both the inner and outer seals.

I drove it on the street yesterday and lost quite a bit of fluid. Tonight I pulled the tire, put that end on a jack stand and then jacked up the drivers side so that it was off camber draining towards the passenger side. I got a pretty steady stream coming out that axle tube.

If I tilt it the other way, I get no fluid loss out of the drivers side axle tube.

Any solutions to end or minimize the fluid flow/loss?

the d30 axles are all the same 27 spline diameter I believe. You must have the wrong seal. Also, CAD axles were eliminated from cherokee's in the late 80's. Unless you pulled it from a YJ, then thats a hell of alot of work for a d30 install!

temporarily you could try some of those axle seals that go in the ends of the axle tube. but those are ment to keep stuff out.

Yep...mistyped...came out of a 1986 XJ, not a 1996 as mentioned.

Did it as a low cost ($65 at PNP) way to regear.

did this on a friends YJ a few years ago and ran into the same issue.

I *BELIEVE* we just ran a standard d30 seal from a non disco axle and installed it into the housing. fits the OD of the housing fine, but instead of the inner diameter being for the larger intermediate shaft that gets used in the disco axles, it will seal up the for the standard shaft

been 3-4 years now with no leaks

Yep...mistyped...came out of a 1986 XJ, not a 1996 as mentioned.

Did it as a low cost ($65 at PNP) way to regear.

yeah newer 4 cyl XJ's are hard to come by. I wonder if a LP TJ D30 would be a better choice then a disco d30? 4cyl TJ's are easier to find.

Back