• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ TJ AX-15 in 91 XJ

Gjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I did a number of searches on this topic on this site and several other Jeep forums. I'm trying to understand if I can use a TJ AX-15 with my 91 XJ 4.0L. I understand the transfer case clocking issue will need to be addressed, but...can I use my '91 XJ 231 case or do I need to source a newer transfer case for shaft size and more importantly, what issues will I have with the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, etc on the front side...will these '91 components work? Know I will in the process be switching to external slave/ bell housing etc. From what I've read all I need to do on the engine side is switch to a bigger pilot bushing and the tranny will mate up to the engine with no issues? Let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks

works just fine. the shifter for the tj sits a little higher than the original one. it's a good swap. and yeah, i think you can use your case. i did the swap in an 87, and had to use the tj case because of the newer 23 spline output on the ax15 versus my old 21 renix/amc spline.

Back