• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heater control valve is stuck-i'm cold

thechief86

NAXJA Forum User
so i got meself an 84 xj with the 4cylinder, 4x4, 5spd, 2door combo(not my first xj, but it was cheap) and it's not too bad, aside from a few electrical issues, a leaky windshield, a wobbly front end, and some other stuff that actually sucked when it was new:anon:
anyway, i'm starting to go through and fix stuff, and although i haven't gotten the blower motor working yet, i did want to mess around and see if i could at least get warm water flowing through the heater core. my little vacuum heater control valve is frozen solid, won't budge at all. i can just hook the hoses up directly, right? this truck is soon to be just a trail beater, but for now, since it's stock, i'm DDing it.

Yeah, you can just remove it permanently. It won't add any heat in the cabin when the control lever is towards cool either as there's a flap that directs air around the heater core. I'd unhook both connections to the heater core and alternately flush it back and forth with a garden hose. Go easy on the pressure though so you don't cause a leak.

With Winter coming on you may want to run some "radiator cleaner" through the system, Prestone or Zerex, the stuff you leave in for 3-6 hours of driving (can be over several days). That will go a long way to opening things up in the heater core, which has likely not had coolant flowing through it in it for some time.

Back