• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loc right wont fit

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
i'm pulling my lock right out of the rear xj d44 axle to put in my front hp d44 from a 77 f150.
i'm using the carrier from a isuzu rodeo,
i went to swap them out and have around 1/4 of a bigger gap.

the carrier that the loc right was in was a 3.55 carrier from an xj d44.
i'm swapping the lock right to a hp44 but going to 5:13's rather then the thick cut 4.56.
when i went to install it, the carrier was way to big. the newer carrier is from a isuzu rodeo which is the bigger carrier for 3:73+ gears.

you're saying that the open area inside the carrier is larger than the space in the XJ D44? From the Richmond website, both carriers should use the same locker, # 2410 so the locker should fit fine if the parts are from the axles you think. If not...

lunch box lockers have nothing to do with the carrier breaks, both sides of the break have the same spider gears therefor same size opening in the carrier. it must have something to do with the different vehicles they carriers came from

im pretty sure the numbers on the carrier are diff. is the isuzu a HD like the ad44 from the zj/wj? i know the diff cover was aluminum, didnt think thatd make a difference

The izusu uses a thick gear on the D44's..

Ok, so the real problem is that the gear/carrier combination isn't working, and the lockrite has nothing to do with this thread, besides the title?

Ok, so the real problem is that the gear/carrier combination isn't working, and the lockrite has nothing to do with this thread, besides the title?
Uh, yep. Looks like it.

so i just need to get a new carrier? i couldnt find anywere saying that there was a 3:73+ lock right.

i pulled the carrier from the isuzu to use with my 5:13's in my hp 44

so i just need to get a new carrier? i couldnt find anywere saying that there was a 3:73+ lock right.

i pulled the carrier from the isuzu to use with my 5:13's in my hp 44

What I have found...

The Izusu D44 all use the same carrier and they are for Reg ole D44 3.73 and dn, or Thick 3.92 and up.

As for your lock rite not fitting, I dont know. Never tried a LR or any insert into a Izusu carrier of any kind.

theres a 1/4 (.25) difference maybe just eye-balling it.
the carrier i pulled is from a 4.13($) so the bigger carrier is for thick cut ?

Where is the "difference"

The 4.10/11 ratio would have had a Thick Gear set on there. SO you can use that carrier with a regular 3.73 or 3.55 (basically the same as yoru 3.55 jeep D44 carrier)

the difference is the spider gear area diameter. seems as if the spiders are bigger.

would the casting numbers help?

the difference is the spider gear area diameter. seems as if the spiders are bigger.

would the casting numbers help?

Way to vague. Sorry....

Nope...

i just ordered a new carrier from ECGS. he said it would fit the lock right.

if i had a height stand i'd take some pics of them

The locker should fit in ANY D44 carrier. Period.

I just took a mini spool out of an XJ carrier and put it in a HP44 carrier no problem last week.

You need a carrier for 3.73 and up. I just bought two of them. There is about a .375" inch difference in ring gear mounting surface height.

Back