• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard is it to change front calipers on 1999 4.0.

jackate

NAXJA Forum User
My front brake calipers are original on my 1999 with 175,000 miles.

I think it's time to change them? Are they very difficult to do? Would I need any special tools or greases, is it way more involved then changing the pads?

Also would I have to bleed the brake after-wards.

Thanks

Why do you think they need to be changed? Do the brakes pull to one direction when applied? Are the pads wearing evenly? If they're rusted or corroded, which they may be if you're in NJ, then perhaps that warrants the replacement, but out west we don't have that issue. My 98 calipers have 150k on them and work perfectly.

You should always bleed the brakes if you introduce air into the system.

1. If they aren't leaking fluid, don't change them.
2. No, they are easy to change if you need to.
3. You'll need a flare wrench / line wrench if you decide you need to do this. I think it is a 10mm flare, though I've used a 3/8" wrench as well. Maybe somebody else can chime in here. Anyway, it is a special wrench that you use for brake lines.
4. It is more involved than changing the pads, yes. Way more? Well, here is what you have to do.
4a Support the car, chock the rear wheels
4b Remove the front wheels
4c remove the two bolts holding the caliper to the caliper bracket
4d using your new flare wrench, detach the caliper soft line from the old caliper and from the hard line coming through the fender well
Installation of new calipers is reverse of the above procedure, though you MUST bleed the brakes before driving the vehicle once you open the plumbing.

Again, though - age and mileage are no reason to replace a working caliper. If it leaks, drags or absolutely can not be bled then sure, maybe. Otherwise... Examine your rotors, pads & fluid. They are far more likely to be the cause of sucky braking than anything else.

I think they may be dragging there is a humming noise. Can I check by lifting the front end up and spinning the tire with the gear shift in neutral.

You can definitely do that to see if they're hanging up, but the rolling resistance on the pavement and what your arms can produce aren't going to be the same. How does your brake fluid look? When was the last time it was flushed? If your calipers were dragging you'd be getting a pull to one side when braking. If you're just getting a noise, I'd be suspect of something else.....wheel bearing perhaps?

I think they may be dragging there is a humming noise. Can I check by lifting the front end up and spinning the tire with the gear shift in neutral.

From one who has learned the hard way,
spend time on diagnosis before money on parts. You want to be sure you are replacing a defective part and solving a problem that you have - otherwise it is a waste of time and money.

Last time I changed the pads in the front. The 2 bolts that you tighten up after you have installed the new pads, there was one bolt that would not tighten down, it got tight but it was like it could of kept keep turning without stopping, not like the other one which tightened down completely.

This was over a year ago, I have had no problem with the brakes, but I thought maybe the calipers would need changing when I do the brakes next.

Not sure if that is a caliper problem.

Hardest part of changing a caliper is probably bleeding it afterwards. Two bolts will have the caliper out. One nut and it'll be completely disconnected from the vehicle.

Last time I changed the pads in the front. The 2 bolts that you tighten up after you have installed the new pads, there was one bolt that would not tighten down, it got tight but it was like it could of kept keep turning without stopping, not like the other one which tightened down completely.

This was over a year ago, I have had no problem with the brakes, but I thought maybe the calipers would need changing when I do the brakes next.

Not sure if that is a caliper problem.

The bolts that hold the caliper in place thread into the steering knuckle, not the caliper. It sounds like one of the threads have been stripped, which is a very common problem. Replacing the caliper would do absolutely nothing to resolve that issue, however.

The bolts that hold the caliper in place thread into the steering knuckle, not the caliper. It sounds like one of the threads have been stripped, which is a very common problem. Replacing the caliper would do absolutely nothing to resolve that issue, however.

Thanks so I need a new bolt next time I do the brakes?

I guess the calipers are fine, there is no pulling to one side when driving or brake smell, or pulling to one side when braking.

Thanks all for all the help, I will buy a new bolt that holds the caliper in place for the one that has the threads stripped.

Learned me something new today!

I doubt it's the bolt that is stripped, but the threads inside the knuckle itself. There are a couple of options to fix this. Just search for it and you'll see how others have fixed it without having to replace the knuckle. Good luck.

Back