• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a scanguge, throwing weird codes. CEL on.

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so Ive had a check engine light on for a while, so I decided to buy a scanguage. I plugged it in turned the key to ON. It gave me the code P0000, which is not in my haynes manual. I pressed CLEAR CODES anyways and the CEL went off!

But then it came back on 3 seconds later. I did this 3 times before I realized for a split second before it read P0000, it read P1493. This code is listed for Battery temp. sensor out of limit.

Obviously Ive removed my battery before, so I am familiar with that little sensor under the battery tray. Im pretty sure Iv always reconnected after changing an alternator, etc. But why is it only letting me see that code for a couple seconds????

If you can understand what I am trying to say I would really appreciate the help. I am not to knowledgeable about how the computer system works, or what sets off the CEL. In fact I dont even mind the light being on, but since I dropped the cash on the scanguage...........

Thanks, Austin

nobody has ever had this issue? Why would a battery sensor set off the CEL!

Pull the battery and look under the tray. Most likely the wire is shorting out and throwing the code.

I think the sensor is there to make sure that the battery is not overcharging - that is why it throws a CEL.

My scangauge does the same thing. It started out working great and got worse and worse, it now never reports actual DTCs, just lists every single one as P0000. Won't clear them either. I've given up on the stupid thing and I am fairly certain it's out of warranty.

Are you following the proper sequence when plugging it in? I don't recall how mine works, it's been (thankfully) a long time. But, it's not just plug it in, there is a key-dance that you need to do in order for it to 'boot' up. What brand is it? Is it a reputable company, or a Harbor Freight special?

The ScanGuage in my XJ have worked flawless for several years. When it is first plugged in, it takes a while to initialize to the buss. Make sure the connectors are clean and solid. The bogus codes appear when it is not reading the buss properly.

The battery code is a ligitimate error code relating to the barrety temperature. Ther wires on my XJ was disconnected at one time and that code appeared. After about an hour on the highway the engine shutdown. Cycling the key on and off would reset it for a few minutes.

The battery temperature sensor is used by the PCM to reduce charging when the battery is hot, thus prevent over charging.

My scangauge does the same thing. It started out working great and got worse and worse, it now never reports actual DTCs, just lists every single one as P0000. Won't clear them either. I've given up on the stupid thing and I am fairly certain it's out of warranty.

Ok this sucks but atleast im not crazy! Still dont get how that little sensor would set of the CEL. I was about to buy Ballistic Fab's optima battery holder and mount it on the stock tray. wonder how that will effect the sensor?

I dont get how I could be doing it wrong, I plugged the thing in, turn key to on, look at codes, clear codes......

Thanks for the replies.

Still dont get how that little sensor would set of the CEL.

The ECU is programmed from the factory so that when the sensor reads high (shorts out) that it throws a CEL code. Not sure what you don't get about it. CEL don't only mean that there is something wrong with the engine. CEL lights just means that some sensor is not reading values that it expects. It tells you that a sensor is not working right or that there is a problem - it doesn't mean that the engine is necessarily about to explode.

well I am aware that when the CEL flashes it means something is seriously wrong etc. But I also though that there were certain codes that did not set off the light. Just find it strange that a battery temp sensor would be an issue.

There are a bunch that don't - mostly things that will cause a non essential gauge to flake out. For instance P0463 (fuel level sender stuck high) won't trigger a CEL. I guess they think the battery temp sensor is important enough to flag an error, since it being bad can result in the battery being undercharged and thus you ending up on the side of the road.

That sucks mine has been working great.

ok so I just checked the battery sensor connecter. I could not disconnect it, it was too caked in mud! Im going to pull my battery tomorrow.

Whats the best stuff to clean out the connection with? Once its clean ill put some dielectric grease in it.

Back