• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feeling Tippy Off Camber

hitchhiker

NAXJA Forum User
Running 31x10.5 bfg km2s on a 3.5" RE superflex lift

The XJ feels really unstable after you get to around 20 degrees or so off camber while the tj's I run with (33x10.5 or 33x12.5 with 3.5" lifts) seem really solid still.

The problem is that on the trails that I have that issue there is usually a cliff so I can't just do a soft flop it would be at least a 10 foot drop before I stopped rolling.

I'm disconnected front and rear.

At this point I've started looking for tj or jk's to replace the xj with because I really hate feeling the tippy off camber and the wife isn't a fan either.

Are there any cheapish solutions that would have a big impact on this?

Do you have a roof rack? Anything in it? If you have a spare tire and a bunch of junk up on the roof it'll go a long way toward making the jeep feel tippy.

That's about all I got :dunno: though personally I wouldn't run a 3.5" lift for 31s, more like 1-2". My jeep feels pretty solid at 4" or so on 33s (no swaybars when offroad) but I'm still on stock control arms, so there is a good chance that they're limiting my flex a lot and keeping it more stable.

Boy ... that was my issue at Rocktoberfest. Had to be "strapped" 4 times to keep me from flopping the XJ. I unintentionally ended up way too tall at 7" or so, using new 4.5" leafs, extended shackles + relocation brackets. We had to dial the ACOS up front to match. With limited time before the run, I had to go out with my 33x12.5 TSLs. I have a rack that goes empty when offroad.

I also am considering options to make the XJ more stable. Dropping an inch will be easy by dialing the ACOS down & using shorter shackles. Can remove the rack on rock wheeling trips.

Going wider is more problematic:
- new wheels with less back spacing? Pricey. Peripheral costs will include mounting & balancing costs, possibly wider flares for the NJ po-po, possible ball joint/hub issues.
- Wider rubber? even more expensive with the same issues as above

I'm still exploring options and am interested in what others have to offer.

Could do spacers as well, they'd likely run you around 200 for a full set, same issues as rims with less backspacing. Ideally you want the centerline of the wheel to be on the same plane as the midpoint of the bearing area inside the unit bearing (or centered between the two conical bearings, if you have an axle with hubs/spindles.) That keeps the load centered and reduces wear on the bearings and balljoints.

Definitely got the tire up there right now, I can pull that down. I've also got a DOM slider with cross bars on the roof too but I need that for being pushed sideways into trees.

I'm thinking maybe the rear leaf springs have too much flex and letting the body rock back and forth trying to balance itself making it feel more tippy then it should be for that angle? Is that even possible?

better shocks will help also. Look into Bilstien 5125's or 5150's most run the 255/70 valving.

I'd go stiffer on the shocks. I'm running 360/80 valving in my front Bilstein 7100s. At 5.5" on 33s, mine was very stable in Big Bear, now I have spacers up front to allow the tires to clear the suspension at full lock. Running RE 3.5" leafs and 1" Boomerang shackles and 5.5" RE coils. Mine feels plenty stable.

Consider trying a Currie Anti-rock or other such offroad swaybar, that should help stabilize.

that's weird cause mine is ridiculously stable at 3" and 33's, way more stable than my buddies tj with 2" and 33's. put clamps on your leafs(if you don't already have them) and get better shocks imo oh and bump stopping appropriately can help

granted i don't have a roof rack for this very reason cause every pound counts when it's up that high. i had mine teetering between two and three wheels the other day, it would have taken a pinky finger to push me over... oops! but the rear tire was about 3' in the air and the front was coming up too

Hmmm, using Rubicon Express Monotube shocks now. I'd expect they'd have been pretty decent at doing what they could.

I guess I need to get it out on something that makes it feel tippy and see what is going on.

Taking the spare off the roof will make a big difference.

Running 31x10.5 bfg km2s on a 3.5" RE superflex lift
I'm disconnected front and rear.

Are there any cheapish solutions that would have a big impact on this?

I am running the same lift and tire combo except that my rear leafs are from OME.

I also have a roof rack/slider installed with a big ole' spare on top and I dont really get that tippy sensation. It could possibly be my rear springs or that my interpretation of "tippy" is different than yours.

My wife will not get near my XJ if it goes off road in to the mountain trails. :tear:

What is the backspacing on your wheels? I'm guessing the fact that your tires are really skinny, and perhaps tucked in towards the body some is not giving you a wider footprint that wider tires with backspacing will give.

I know my Jeep with 5.5",33x13.5's and no swaybars feels a lot stabler just on the road than my dad's stock TJ.

I know my Jeep with 5.5",33x13.5's and no swaybars feels a lot stabler just on the road than my dad's stock TJ.

I can give this a x2, im at 5.5" with 33x12.5's with no swaybars and my XJ feels MUCH more stable on road than my moms stock TJ.

And not sure if youv'e mentioned it, but are you running stock rims?

Fairly narrow they would be just barely under the stock fender flares if I had them on still.

I want to say they are soft 8's, 15x7 4inch backspace

Just to note too, I'm not talking about regular trails or roads. This is only in situations which require driving off camber on a trail (usually with a drop off on the low side to add pucker factor).

If I can get the xj to feel more stable in those situations I wouldn't feel the need to replace it

Last edited:
you dont know tippy til you run moab rim in moab. my old XJ was stable as hell and i was shitting myself.

rllwlh.jpg

how's a 1000ft shear drop into the colorado river sound?

Last edited:
you dont know tippy til you run moab rim in moab. my old XJ was stable as hell and i was shitting myself.

how's a 1000ft shear drop into the colorado river sound?

yes we know you and sam went across country, yes we are jealous, now you can stop post whoring the pictures .!.:D.!.

Back