• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Cibie Cesar driving and fog lights constantly burn through $10.00 bulbs

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a pair of Cibie Cesar driving lights and twin pair of fog lights on my bumper. All four of the lights burn through bulbs like no tomorrow. Any idea why this is? The lights were about $100 a piece and I've hardly ever been able to use them due to the bulbs. Replacement 100w H2 bulbs are approx $13 each.

I'm very careful not to touch the bulbs when installing so I'm lost....

Last edited:
A few things, how are they wired? Did you do an upgraded harness for the lights, as well as use relays?

What kind of bulbs are you using?

A few things, how are they wired? Did you do an upgraded harness for the lights, as well as use relays?

What kind of bulbs are you using?

I built the harness myself, using a relay for each pair of lights. I did a quality job when making the harness. Heat shrinking, wiring loom, etc.

I have always used 100w Narva bulbs as per recommendation by Daniel Stern Lighting.

Are the Hella brand bulbs any good? I found some 100 watt Hella H2s for $6 bucks each, 100 watt Narvas for $9 each and 130w Narvas for $13 each...

Last edited:
Considering that Hella is one of the biggest names in offroad/automotive lighting, I'm gonna go ahead and say yes, Hella brand shit is good.

Where are you grounding the lamp circuit? If not to the negative battery post, I would suggest adding a ground from your negative post to the body as I'm assuming you have a 90 XJ, and they have notoriously poor body grounds. A bad ground will cause heat in the circuit and the bulb filament works like a heating element.

X2 on the Hella bulbs and lights, Took a deer hit last winter,broke the housing off of the mount,and the light still worked.
Replaced bumper and salvaged the bulb for the replacement Hella,s.

Wayne

The higher wattage bulb will not last as long as a lower wattage. Narva and Cibie are very good brands. I would take a look at your wiring. Whats the point in a 100watt bulb in a fog lamp anyhow?

Back