• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford racing 8.8 brake kit

seth15210

NAXJA Forum User
so im gonna swap my d44 under soon. ive read about using the explorer brakes. so my question is ive seen 8.8 explorer brake kits for 400 bucks. i like them better than the GC swap. will the 8.8 kit fit with no/little mods. i want all new parts so the kits are the way for me.

If you want all new parts, and are buying a kit, why not get a brake kit that is meant for the axle you will put them on, instead of buying a kit and modifying it? They do make disk brake kits for the D44.

The GC brakes and the explorer brake are almost identical and both require modification to fit the XJ D44.

^this

After having both side by side when swapping a ZJ brake equipped 8.25 to a ford 8.8 I can tell you the mounting brackets are only a couple part numbers off. The main difference is the dust sheilds, as the ZJ dust shields do not wrap around the lip of the rotor.

And why buy a kit? you can get a 8.8 complete for $150 from the J/Y. Then sell the housing to a fellow jeeper.

i just like the kits cause i want all new parts, ive priced it all separately and its about the same price, except the backing plate. the ford kit is also nice cause its 230 dollars cheaper than the tera flex or one similar. and around me they want 300-400 for a complete 8.8, they wont let me salvage just the brakes

sounds like youve got all the bases covered... what souske says is all valid, but if you cant get the $150, there goes that!

got a price or a link for the ford kit? i'd love to compare to what ive paid for my crown vic setups. i used new rotors/calipers/pads. i only bought the e-brake housing/backing plate, whatever it's called, and the calipers (for core's) at the junkyard. i dont see a NEED for a new backing plate thingy. so it really depends on price! for the CV stuff, wait for a sale weekend, you can find them 100% of the time.

Back