• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cluster issues 1998 XJ

coldoath

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just bought my XJ less than a week ago, Wednesday to be exact, but I bought it with some known issues: the sunroof didn't work, exhaust leak, and the cluster didn't work. I have since then fixed the sunroof, and already have a new muffler.

Here's my problem....

Everything but the gas gauge does not work during the day with no head lights, not even the trip counter or the total miles on the vehicle. At night when I turn the head lights on it kills all the gauges and it shows as me having the right and left blinker solid on, on the cluster, but the blinkers and hazards and all lights work fine. Now I've done some searching on the forums and other forums and I've cleaned all the grounds in the engine bay, checked all fuses, and unplugged the battery over night to reset the computer, but still my problem persist. When I start the Jeep the tach will appear to come up to idle speed, about 900rpm, but will not respond when I rev the engine and then promptly dies within about 7 sec of starting the Jeep.

I would really like to keep it away from a mechanics shop seeing as how I'm really close to buying a 4.5" lift and 33s and a mechanic visit would only delay the lift, which is not cool. Any help you guys have I would greatly appreciate!!:helpme:

Well the 96/97+ have a known issue with the connector at the back of the instrument cluster. There is a TSB on it, with a replacement connector that comes with about six inches of additional wire (it was probably the OEM harness being too short and putting strain on the connector that caused the problem).

So, search for info on the TSB, run down to the dealer and buy the part, install it. Make sure to use some dielectric grease on the connection.

You may have more than one issue here--fix the connector first and see what is next in line.

Good luck.

Hey thanks guys!! I'll def get on that. Aren't there two connectors to the cluster?? Replace both or just one?

Also, I found the TSB but I can't see anything other than just a basic description, which matches exactly, without some website trying to make me pay a fee. Anybody know a way to get more info, specifically the part number? NHTSA:601676

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys!! I'll def get on that. Aren't there two connectors to the cluster?? Replace both or just one?

Also, I found the TSB but I can't see anything other than just a basic description, which matches exactly, without some website trying to make me pay a fee. Anybody know a way to get more info, specifically the part number? NHTSA:601676

PM sent.

Well I went to my local Jeep dealership and asked him about getting a replacement connector for my cluster and he said he was out. Then I mentioned the TSB and he was able to look it up and print it off for me ANDDDD he had the part on hand. Only $8.76!! :) So I'll be working on soldering that all together tonight. Update you guys later tonight!!! Cross your fingers!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I hate electrical issues!! >=(

Well crap!!!! Spent an hour, at least, cutting, soldering, shrink wrapping, and taping that dumb connector to the harness and it got me nothing!!!!

So back to the drawing board.....

Any other ideas on what can be done??? I'm down for almost anything...

Back