• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Maintenance

Sidewinder CC

NAXJA Forum User
'99 XJ, 4.0

Thought I would post some info about some maintenance I just performed on my New Process 242J Transfer Case.

Getting ready for the upcoming winter in the tundra (Michigan) I did my routine maintenance on my truck, including transfer case oil change.

I decided to 86 the 10mm internal hex drain/refill plugs and install flanged/external hex plugs. I chose the NAPA/Balkamp P/N 704-1048 plugs with a 19mm hex. There are plugs available from NAPA, P/N 704-1346, with a 30mm hex that will serve the same purpose but, since I had a 19mm socket I went the 1048 route. Both plugs have have 22mm X 1.5 threads.

Below are the tools, parts, and ATF I gathered at the start of the job. Shown is an inch/pound torque wrench that was subsequently substituted by a foot/pound torque wrench. I have been using ATF+4 in my transfer case for years with no problems. Shown are the P/N 704-1048 plugs. The cap on one of the ATF+4 containers is a cap off a bottle of gear oil (allows pouring the ATF in the case directly from the bottle). The BMF breaker bar was brought out in case I had a stuck plug, but didn't need it. Not shown is a drain pan, rags, beer, etc.

DSCF2161.jpg

Before removing the drain and fill plugs I wire-wheeled the corrosion off the case surfaces surrounding the drain plugs using my Dremmel like tool (shown above) so a clean surface was provided for the new flange plug gaskets. I torqued the plugs to 25 lb/ft (FSM stated torque is 15lb/ft to 25lb/ft). Below are the installed plugs. Note the surface corrosion on the case from the salt used on the roads in Michigan (it's not as bad as it looks however).

DSCF2163.jpg

While in the area I liberally lubed all pivot points the transfer case linkage with Graphite lubricant, "Jig-A-Loo, Graphite Extreme" (there are other Grapite lubes available). If I learned nothing else in the last 50 years of working on vehicles in the cold climes of Michigan, linkage, such as this, should not be lubed with grease.

I took the truck for a leak check drive with case in 'Full Time'. No leaks at this time with the new type plugs.

Note 1: The XJ IPC's show OEM P/N 4856641 plugs for 1997 thru 2001 231 and 242 transfer cases. Earlier transfer cases took P/N 4210616 plugs I believe (I don't have reliable OEM IPC's for pre-'97 XJ's). The '97 - '01 IPC's illustrate flanged type plugs with gaskets, but that is not what is installed. As I observed, the 10mm internal hex plugs I removed appeared to be taper pipe threads, whereas the replacement plug threads appeared to be straight threads. I should have done a detailed examination of these threads before installation.

Note 2: The new flange gaskets are compressed fiber type. They measure: Outside Dia: 31mm, Inside Dia: 23mm, Thickness: 2mm. I need to search around to find similar gaskets for future oil changes.

No more buggered up internal hex plugs. :yelclap: The ones removed were on their last leg.

Cool, thanks for providing the part numbers for those new plugs. I've never had trouble with my factory ones so far, but it's nice to know what I can replace them with if/when I do.

dude, the internal hex plugs are Fing retarded! I stripped my upper on and now have a 1/2 bolt through it. They could have atleast made them steel, aluminum is way to soft. Congrats on getting the old ones out easy!

dude, the internal hex plugs are Fing retarded! I stripped my upper on and now have a 1/2 bolt through it. They could have atleast made them steel, aluminum is way to soft. Congrats on getting the old ones out easy!

austinaubinoe,

Aluminum plugs has my curiosity up so I have a few questions, if you don't mind....

I see in your signature that you have a 2000 XJ with a '97 motor in it.

Did you retain the 2000 TC when you changed motors?

What model TC do you have, 231 or 242?

Is it a New Process or a New Venture TC? My understanding is that NP changed to NV sometime between late '99 and '00.

Thanks

Back