• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you disconnect the fuel filler hoses?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
There are two hoses that connect to the tank where fuel is filled.

How can I disconnect these? They are about two inches too short to fit on a stock tank so I need to replace them.

Will a chunk of hose work or will I need to get the custom molded hoses from the dealer?

I'm assuming that you need to disconnect them from the Jeep and not the tank?

If so, you should be able to unbolt the hoses from the underside of the filler neck. Get under the Jeep and look up where the hoses are and you should see the bolts that you need to pull.

On the earlier Xjs, there is a shield held on by 10mm screws. Once removed, you should have access to the end of the hoses closest to where you put the gas in. Undo the clamps, then take a large pair of slip joint pliers and rotate the hose where the clamp was until the rubber breaks free from the filler spout. You should then be able to pull the bubber off when you drop the tank.

I've got the tank out but the hoses are too short to mount on the factory tank. I had an Aero 30 gal in there before.

The dealer wants 50 bucks for a new set of hoses. I was hoping I could just find some straight hose and work with that...

Last edited:
Old school was to use convoluted radiator hoses, but I don't know how they would hold up to the new fuel with alchohol.

Back