• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions please

autowizard

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a choice between 2 jeeps and would like everyones opp. the first is an 85 cherokee 4 wheel drive manual trans 2.8 no power anything good shape runs needs a clutch which comes with the vehicle for 500 bucks. The second is a 94 grand cherokee good shape aw4 4.0 4x4 good shape other than the 4 wheel drive dont work (makes noise when trying to engage the lever) and shakes then dies when ya stop for 800. I am just looking for a dd/ trail rig i plan on running 3 inch lift with 31s, what you ya think?

ok i have a choice between 2 jeeps and would like everyones opp. the first is an 85 cherokee 4 wheel drive manual trans 2.8 no power anything good shape runs needs a clutch which comes with the vehicle for 500 bucks. The second is a 94 grand cherokee good shape aw4 4.0 4x4 good shape other than the 4 wheel drive dont work (makes noise when trying to engage the lever) and shakes then dies when ya stop for 800. I am just looking for a dd/ trail rig i plan on running 3 inch lift with 31s, what you ya think?

Well since this is an XJ site.... id say get the xj, should have a d44 in the rear at least and thats a bonus.
:gee:

Don't count on the D44 rear on the XJ. Also the 2.8L motor is universally crowned as one of the worst motors ever made.

I would pass on both...
85 with a 2.8 has (a) the worst motor ever (as noted by old_man) and (b) most likely the worst rearend ever as well (d35)
the 94 grand cherokee does not have an AW4 unless someone swapped it in, they only had the AW4 for the first half of 93 or so, then switched to some turd of a chrysler box that fails quite frequently. Also has the worst rearend ever, and not as many easily obtainable bolt-in upgrades for it. The 4x4 being broken just adds to it, as well as the running problems...

I would wait for a 95 or 99 XJ with some running problems for the same budget and pick that up instead.

yup I'd pass on both.

my fav is this:

1992-1995/6
AW4 automatic
4.0L-H.0. inline six
np231 part-time case
non-disconnect d30
d35 (that can easily be swapped for a 8.25/8.8)

pull the fuse for the ABS pump, and pull the ABS light bulb, swap in a new axle if you wheel it, enjoy the open cooling system, and very simple/very robust OBDI diagnostic system.

thanks for the responses, i went and checked out the grand it has 200k always garaged not a scratch or dent in it, good tires excellent interior i hooked up a dangling sparkplug wire runs and shifts like a dream the shifter linkage for the 4 wheel drive is loose and it has the typical 4.0 leaks such as valve cover and oil filter adapter and most likely rear main other than that its near perfect but i agree on the trans being junk typical chrysler lol but i got a nice 44 sitting in the garage complete with abs crap sensors im having a hard time passing this one up i got her talked down to 600. The 85 wouldnt start and the floors look like fred flinstones, non existant lol. I also looked at a 94 xj i was hooked till i seen some jackazz cut the rear fender wells too high and ruined the body so i walked away from that one even though it had a 6 inch lift. Some people need shot

I'd probably go for the grand with those choices and that price, either that or wait.

i'd go with the lifted xj, even though it's prolly beat all to hell. you can weld in some sheet metal to make the rear wheelwells livewithable, and a lot of what you'll want in a trail beater are there. and we all know that the 92-94 xj's are the best vehicles aver made. at least you'd be starting with something good. i, on the other hand have an 84 xj with the 4 banger, and i like it for the most part, but i do miss the power of the 4.0

Back