• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AXEL Fill plug

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
got my rear diff cover off last night and changed the fluids (wanted to change the gasket b/c its 10 years old) so i wanted to do the same but luckily i tried to get the fill plug out first... which I cant. Ive heated it and let it soak in pb for 14 hrs now, any more suggestions... I keep corkscrewing the end of my socket wrenches

I think its standard but its a dana 35 up front (so you guys know the fill plug im talking about)

As always you guys are awesome

A little confused here....

You did take off the cover before confirming that you could get the fill plug out?

If you couldn't get the fill plug out, how did you refill the differential?

You mention the rear axle in the first paragraph, but later in the post you reference both the D35 (which would be a rear) but standard front?

If I am understanding you, you did the D35 rear fine, and now want to do the D30 front, but the D30 front fill nut seems to be stuck....

Can you kind of clear this up...so we can get you the correct help!

I had some troubles doing this.

With the cover off it is very hard to hold the cover steady enough and get the plug out.

put the cover back on with a few bolts and use the Jeep/axle to hold it while you turn the plug.... Or you can screw/bolt the cover down to something else to hold the cover while you turn the plug. I actually screwed it to the leg of my work bench.

sorry just frustrated, thats why i made no sense. I already did the rear 8.25 axel and I am working on the front. I have not taken the cover off the front b/c I wanted to make sure I could get the fill plug out first.

Rear=done
Front= cant get the gosh darn fill plug out... any tricks?

Ive already tried torching it and pb blastin it.

Since you live where you do can we say RUST !!!
If you have damaged the end of the fill plug, then I would suggest that you weld a nut to the plug, smack the nut a few times with a ball pean hammer and apply heat to the plug when loosening the plug.

Well, first, I would say probably not rust. If his is like every other XJ in the world, something is leaking that keeps that front differntial cover coated. Also, I don't really think things get that rusty in Kentucky. I've never had any issue with rust on my diffential covers. Mine cane from Ohio and every bolt on it was rusty but both diff plugs were untouched of rust.

I use a 3/4" 12 point socket to get my plug out becuase it is a square shaped head. Have you tried just using that with a huge breaker bar and some muscle?

Other option...go to the nearest pick a part yard, grab another D30 cover that you can get the fill plug out of for $5 and call it a day.

assuming he has the kind of fil plug that you stick your 3/8th drive into to turn it he cant use a socket, try a breaker bar in it if that doesnt work get a jy one

I've only used a 3/8 square drive ratchet like 1990heepxj. Even up here in mass with an axle that was encrusted with rust to the point that the LCA brackets broke off, I could remove the fill plug with one arm easily... if the hole in the fill plug is not deep enough to get the 3/8 drive into it, chisel the crap out using a nail and a small hammer before trying to unscrew it.

Also, pretty sure I have a stock cover with a good plug somewhere around here. I can ship it to you around the end of next week when I get home from a trip, you pay shipping and it's yours. Should fit in a 10 or 15 dollar flat rate box. Check the local yards and see if you can get one for cheaper/sooner there though, when I bought a d35 cover for a friend a while ago I got it plus the cross shaft and spiders for 15 bucks.

Well, first, I would say probably not rust. If his is like every other XJ in the world, something is leaking that keeps that front differntial cover coated. Also, I don't really think things get that rusty in Kentucky. I've never had any issue with rust on my diffential covers. Mine cane from Ohio and every bolt on it was rusty but both diff plugs were untouched of rust.

No rust.....
Thats rather surprising.
Even here in CA we have problems with rust if you live by the ocean or in areas frequented by snow..

Good Luck removing the plug.

That plug is threaded 1/2" NPT - go to the hardware store and get a brass plug to replace it.

You're welcome.

As far as removal:

- Remove and clean the oil off of the cover.
- Set the cover upright in a vice.
- Get out your torch (propane will do) and set it for a fine flame. Get out a block of paraffin wax (find it in canning supplies) or just get an old candle.
- Heat the plug only with the torch - you're trying to get it up to about a dull red.
- When the plug is read, take away the flame and touch the wax/candle to the junction between the plug and the cover. Do this on both sides, so the wax will melt and wick well into the threads.
- When the plug is near room temperature, you can try to remove it - it should come out fairly easily.
- Replace with a brass plug (brass won't rust or seize.)

Why doesn't the factory use brass? Because steel is cheaper.

Back