• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear spring hanger

twk00xj

NAXJA Forum User
I was replacing the bushings in my leaf springs and the weld broke that was holding the nut inside the spring hanger. Any ideas on fixes? I found new hangers from Poly Performance but was wondering if anybody had any other ideas.

its a p.i.a. i had the same problem.i got it out by cutting a hole in the floor , then i cut the bolt between the frame and spring . i tried to use a socket but the bolt was rusted solid, some say that you can go through the fame end but i didnt want to create more work for myself when the bolts for the bumper broke.:doh:

Are you referrring to the nut inside the "frame" for the front of the spring or the actual hanger in the back end? When I replaced the springs on my 96 both nuts that are welded on to the inside of the "frame" broke loose and after researching on here I decided to go with the procedure of taking a die grinder with a cut off blade and make a small opening below the bolt hole on the frame. I cut the whole just big enough to get a wrench with a new bolt taped to it inside. Then when I got the spring up there I put the new bolt in and was able to tighten it. Once I had it torqued I simply pulled down on the wrench and the tape broke free. I will snoop around a bit and see if I can find the write up on that. Good luck.

Are you referrring to the nut inside the "frame" for the front of the spring or the actual hanger in the back end? When I replaced the springs on my 96 both nuts that are welded on to the inside of the "frame" broke loose and after researching on here I decided to go with the procedure of taking a die grinder with a cut off blade and make a small opening below the bolt hole on the frame. I cut the whole just big enough to get a wrench with a new bolt taped to it inside. Then when I got the spring up there I put the new bolt in and was able to tighten it. Once I had it torqued I simply pulled down on the wrench and the tape broke free. I will snoop around a bit and see if I can find the write up on that. Good luck.

I have my springs ready to go that issue is keeping me from pulling the trigger and putting them in. I don't have a grinder and I don't think my dremel would be up for the task ha.

Give the usual suspect hardware a liberal dose of PB Blaster, Kroil, FreezeOff, etc a couple of times a week, for several weeks prior. If you get under the Jeep, you can see some openings in the frame sections that will let you get the straw in and spray the exposed ends of the bolts directly.

Then hit Home Depot/Lowes/Harbor freight/whatever and buy a cheap grinder and some cut-off wheels, just in case. If you need them, you have them; if you don't, you return them get your money back.

Give the usual suspect hardware a liberal dose of PB Blaster, Kroil, FreezeOff, etc a couple of times a week, for several weeks prior. If you get under the Jeep, you can see some openings in the frame sections that will let you get the straw in and spray the exposed ends of the bolts directly.

Then hit Home Depot/Lowes/Harbor freight/whatever and buy a cheap grinder and some cut-off wheels, just in case. If you need them, you have them; if you don't, you return them get your money back.

I called around and a local shop was wanting 90-120 bucks to swap out my leaf springs. I'm debating on taking the chance and doing it myself, if it goes well great. If those weld nuts break I can buy a grinder for 90 bucks and have a new tool for the future ha. I just really don't want to deal with the hassle right now though.

I cut the bolt off with an angle grinder, cut a hole in the floor to remove the pieces. It is easy to gain access to the nut through the hole in the floor. I not one to advocate cutting the frame rails.

I finally decided to just get the Poly Performance hangers. I figure they'll help stiffen the unibody a little and there's no welding required. They also provide a better floor mount for my future cage. Now all I need to do is cut my old hangers off and wait for the UPS man.

Back