• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak...87 XJ

core132

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. I know this question has probably been beating to death on this forum. I never seem to have time to sift through it all. So I have a quick question... On my 87 Cherokee, there is engine oil dripping from Right where the motor and the tranny come together, there is a plate between them. Its running down the engine side of the plate and dripping. Its not pouring...but dripping enough for me to be concerned. I cant really tell where its orginating from because its all kind of oily...but what are the most likely causes??? Rear main seal? Oil pan gasket? Oil pan needs to be tightened up a bit??? Give me some ideas. If it helps out when on idle it drips constantly over the exhaust pipe and when it gear it drips less then when in idle.... Thanks in advance

ALWAYS look for oil leaks from top to bottom after degreasing the eingine. Valve cover, oil filter adapter housing, oil sender should all be checked for oil leakage before assuming it's a rear main seal problem. You need : degreaser, garden hose, mirror and flashlight to diagnose the leak correctly and then fix it. Any answers you get here will only be speculation or the results of other people's diagnoses on their vehicles, not yours.

ALWAYS look for oil leaks from top to bottom after degreasing the eingine. Valve cover, oil filter adapter housing, oil sender should all be checked for oil leakage before assuming it's a rear main seal problem. You need : degreaser, garden hose, mirror and flashlight to diagnose the leak correctly and then fix it. Any answers you get here will only be speculation or the results of other people's diagnoses on their vehicles, not yours.

Cruiser54 has covered it all.

Back