• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Used axle backlash

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a D44 yesterday with a detroit and 4.56s in it.

I sorta checked backlash by hand at the yoke before I brought it home and it felt kinda loose but I assumed it felt loose because the shafts weren't in it at the time.

I just pulled the cover off and checked the backlash properly. .029"

Now, I don't intend to buy new gears. I'll run it like this is I have to.

I figure I could adjust the carrier to make the backlash right, run a pattern and if it's anywhere near acceptable I'd run it.

What is acceptable backlash on a used set of gears? I'd think it would be less than .030"...

I would prefer to see numbers in the low 20's myself. If you reset them they will likely whine. If there's no serious wear on the R&P and the bearings are good I would prolly run it as is after making sure the pattern is acceptable. If the pattern is not good I would reset the gears and live with the whine.

The whine won't be an issue. I forgot to mention that it's a front waggy 44 and I'll have the hubs unlocked anytime I'm moving fast enough for them to whine...

I'm more worried about deflection and r&p strength...

I say reset the R&P and replace all the bearings and you should be good for a long time.

...but I don't WANNA! :rattle:

I've set up 4 axles in the past month... AHHHH

As a matter of fact I just put the cover on one a few minutes ago...

It's no fun if you're not getting paid!

Tho, this one is in the shop rather than under the vehicle... It'll be easier...

I guess I'll be buying an install kit soon... Ugh.

Still NEED spindles! I figure if I keep saying it they will appear on my work bench... lol

Back