• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking from D44 w/Detroit

spaulman

NAXJA Member #769
I started getting a clicking sound coming from my D44 w/Detroit this week. It is worse under acceleration and quiets down when coasting/decelerating. The wheel bearings are new. I pulled the diff cover and don't see anything out of the ordinary - broken teeth, etc. I was able to determine that it is only making noise when it is unlocked (held one tire, spun the other). Anyone have any ideas? I've never messed with the Detroit before and don't have the skills to do my own gear setups so I'm kind of at a loss.

I still have the cover off and have a few other chores to do around the house. I'll keep checking in to see if anyone has any ideas. Otherwise, I'll fill it back up with gear oil and take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks,
Scott

are you sure it just isnt being a detroit and making racket for the sake of making racket? is there any metal in the fluid?

The fluid that came out was greyish. It had only been in there for less than 1K miles.

I don't think it is normal Detroit noise. I had driven it for almost a month before the noise started. It starts out like a mini-bike is following me and then gets steadily louder and faster until the whole cab is vibrating.

did you check your pinion bearing and your u-joints? If going straight down the road, the Detroit should be locked and there should be no noise from it.
Take it into the dirt and see if it locks up. If it locks, then the Detroit should be ok.

I grabbed the yoke and tried to move it up/down and side to side. It didn't seem to move at all. U-joints look good too. I'll check to see if it locks up tonight. If it does, maybe I'll just live with the noise until something breaks.

It could be teeth broken on the dog clutches, or a broken dog clutch engagement spring.

Did you break a shaft at some point? If so, that can lead to a broken dog clutch. If you don't know what I'm talking about, take it to someone professional, hopefully the guy who installed it in the first place.

Was the housing checked for straightness? That can also lead to pawl engagement problems.

CRASH

I bought the axle with the Detroit already installed. I guess I should take it in and have it looked at. New gears and/or Detroits are not cheap.

you should only hear it when your cornering at slow speeds and shifting from reverse to drive.

The locker is definitely locking. My wife didn't seem to understand why I had to spin gravel in the driveway to see if my locker was working. :D

I pulled the rear driveshaft last night. The axle is silent when driving in FWD only. I'm guessing that it is because no torque is being applied to the locker.

I checked the u-joint and CV joint in the driveshaft again. Both appeared to be good but I replaced the u-joint just to sure. Reinstalled the driveshaft and it is noisey as ever.

I'm going to try to get it looked at later this week.

Finally found the problem. After reading an old post by Ary'01XJ I decided to pull the driveshaft again and take another look at the CV joint. It was shot. Had it rebuilt yesterday and all is well.

I forgot to take the rig out of park before I jiggled the shaft once. You have to release any pressure on the shaft before you wiggle it.
BTW chock the wheels first! See burnt tool thread!
mattk

Back