• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ Fuel Tank Swap

stever6kid

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ with a home built 4.6 stroker, I am running Mustang 4.6 V8 24lb/hr injectors and need the 49 +/-5 psi from the 96+ models for them to work. I know the pre 96 models require an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to do this but that would require finding a new fuel rail. I was wanting to swap in a plastic tank from a TJ or a grand to avoid future rust issues, but I am not sure how practical this is. I am not really worried about the fuel gage working because they go bad alot anyways. (It never worked on my old 86 cherokee cheif anyhow.) Still if someone knows a way I could have my cake and eat it too your in put would be much appreciated.

You can swap in a 97-up XJ tank. It will bolt right up except you will need to modify the vapor return line and fuel supply line slightly. You will need the rubber hoses from the fill spout to the side of the tank. The 96 and later models all have the fuel pressure regulator built into the sender.

You can get the fuel gauge "mostly" working fairly easily, connect the two wires for the sender to the ground wire and one of the wires for the sender (I forget which - it's one of the ones at the connector for the old fuel pump.) It will read 1/2 tank low and not very linearly. Fill up when you reach the empty line and you'll be fine, else just figure out what you average for gas mileage and fill up when you've used 15 gallons. If you don't bother connecting the sender at all, it'll still run fine obviously.

plastic. Some people prefer the metal but I like plastic because it bounces back better and doesn't rust out.

Back