• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Adapter Question

hoodride

NAXJA Forum User
Swapping the 4.0 in a '98 XJ I have, I bought a '98 4.0 from a TJ to go in it and the TJ's don't have the 90 degree adapter for the oil filter. I just spun the new filter straight onto the block (on this block the filter boss comes off at about a 45 degree angle, like my other XJ) Putting the engine in today and the filter is hitting the frame side motor mount, it looks like once the engine is completely in it will clear but unitl then its been a pain to get in because of that issue. Should I pull it up enough to spin on an adapter or roll with it? I have an adapter but it doesn't want to come off another block I have. BTW the engine that came out the filter spun straight to the block but the boss was flat on the side (something I had never seen on an XJ block.) Thanks.

Nevermind, I went for it and took the filter off to get the engine in place. Once it was bolted up there is about 1/8" between the filter and the mount so it won't be the easiest oil change in the future but it works without the adapter.

I heard that a Neon oil filter is smaller and works well in your application. No personal experience though.

Heard that too, but I guess I would use a filter relocation kit than a filter that small.

If he got an early vertical OFA he could step up to the Wix 2-quart filter, #51773, SAE 3/4x16.

I'm not sold on the Neon filter deal myself. When swapping the HO into my 88 XJ, I mocked it up and then decided against it. Still too close to the motor mount bracket for me. Put the OFA on with new o-rings

I'm not sold on the Neon filter deal myself. When swapping the HO into my 88 XJ, I mocked it up and then decided against it. Still too close to the motor mount bracket for me. Put the OFA on with new o-rings

Yeah, little filters have always worried me a bit. I remember the first time I had to change an oil filter on an R5--I think I have eaten pancakes thicker than those filters! :laugh2:

No, and no. Customer liked how I serviced her 245 Volvo wagon so she started bringing all of the family vehicles in, and always specified she wanted only me to work on them. When the R5 showed up I felt so blessed.

1/8" between the filter and the framerail? Yikes - you'll lose the filter if/when you tear a motor mount. Either get a remote filter, or I'm pretty sure you can swap in the XJ adapter. Once you do that, run the bigger1-qt filter as well. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html

Back