• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas pedal to stiff (info plz)

purkeyda

NAXJA Forum User
My gas pedal is way to stiff, Is there any tricks that I can do or upgrades that will make it soft/easy to press? I have been searching the forums for hours and cant find any info on this... ty in advance...

Specs are:
88 XJ
4.0L
AW4
Auto

Have you lubricated the cable?

It shouldn't be very stiff. I had trouble of one sort or another with every component of my 87, though. So, first check the cable for rust, fraying and binding. Then check the pivot on the pedal itself and lube that. Then get under the hood and check the pivot on the bell crank that operates the linkage to the throttle body and lube that, also checking for wear that might cause it to hang up. Then, finally, lube the throttle plate pivots on the throttle body.

As an afterthought, make sure too that the transmission cable isn't stiff. Try disconnecting that (not while running) and see what difference that makes.

It shouldn't be unusually stiff, so I think unless you're used to something very soft indeed, there's something wrong.

It shouldn't be very stiff. I had trouble of one sort or another with every component of my 87, though. So, first check the cable for rust, fraying and binding. Then check the pivot on the pedal itself and lube that. Then get under the hood and check the pivot on the bell crank that operates the linkage to the throttle body and lube that, also checking for wear that might cause it to hang up. Then, finally, lube the throttle plate pivots on the throttle body.

As an afterthought, make sure too that the transmission cable isn't stiff. Try disconnecting that (not while running) and see what difference that makes.

It shouldn't be unusually stiff, so I think unless you're used to something very soft indeed, there's something wrong.

Can't say it any better than Matthew Currie. Odds are broken wire inside the sheath jamming.

Good luck.

Back