• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion angle question

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally measured my pinion and driveshaft angles in order to buy shims and came up with some really odd results. My driveshaft angle is 16 degrees, and I got a measurement of 82.1 degrees on the plane perpendicular to the pinion (placed a cutting wheel flat against the rear axle yoke and measured its angle). By my math, this means the drive shaft and pinion meet at an 8.1 degree angle, so I'll need at least a 6 degree shim.

Is this right? I'm only running a 3.5" RE lift (closer to 4.5") and this seems to be a steeper angle than what most people see with this kit. Am I retarded or correct?

Angles are only relative to the driveshaft, not perpendicular.

Use a socket, and an angle finder. Place the socket in the u-joint hole on the yoke, and take a measurement. Do the same with DS side of that joint. Take a reading and subtract the two readings. The result will be a number between 180 and 160deg That is the angle for that joint. Do the same for the other joint. They should be equal and opposite angles. ---\__ Move the side that is the furthest out of wack, and remeasure.
A 1 to 2 deg difference between the angles is considered normal for stock purposes, since you are modified, it is whatever you can live with :)

Is this a stock set-up or do you have an SYE kit?

Zuki-Ron - thanks for the input, I'll try the socket route. I measured perpendicular to the pinion as this was the easiest way to get what seemed like an accurate measurement - add or subtract 90 degrees, and you're on the same plane as the driveshaft.

RCP Phx - I'm running a Tom Woods SD SYE. Pics of output and pinion:

sm_sye2.jpg

sm_sye3.jpg

I always heard to make the pinion parallel to the transfer case output, as Zuki suggested, but now I'm hearing more and more recommendations (even from Tom Woods) to point the pinion straight at the transfer case output flange/yoke if you've got a double-cardan shaft. Is this correct?

I always heard to make the pinion parallel to the transfer case output, as Zuki suggested, but now I'm hearing more and more recommendations (even from Tom Woods) to point the pinion straight at the transfer case output flange/yoke if you've got a double-cardan shaft. Is this correct?

Listen to Tom Woods on this - you want to point your pinion at the output of the t-case in your application.

Back