• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.8 or 4.0 Mopar V6 swap ?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone heard of it being done?
Seems like it would fit just fine. Makes more HP / TQ than our inlines. In a vehicle 1,000 lbs heavier it gets ~25 % further per gallon burnt.

So, aside from cost of the engines - what would make this harder than LT / LS swaps?

Seems like if you had a blown or tired Jeep 4.0, this would make some sense... assuming you could get the engine cheap enough, that is...

Before anyone flames - yes, I know that a Mopar v6 is not as badass as a Chevy V8, it wouldn't be as fast, it wouldn't be easy and that a stroker would be cheaper. I'll probably never do this swap but... well, I'm curious.

Seems like it would fit just fine. Makes more HP / TQ than our inlines. In a vehicle 1,000 lbs heavier it gets ~25 % further per gallon burnt.

So, aside from cost of the engines - what would make this harder than LT / LS swaps?

Seems like if you had a blown or tired Jeep 4.0, this would make some sense... assuming you could get the engine cheap enough, that is...

Before anyone flames - yes, I know that a Mopar v6 is not as badass as a Chevy V8, it wouldn't be as fast, it wouldn't be easy and that a stroker would be cheaper. I'll probably never do this swap but... well, I'm curious.

Would be pointless for the minimal gain. Where are you getting a 4.0 mopar V6 anyways?

Would be pointless for the minimal gain. Where are you getting a 4.0 mopar V6 anyways?

60 HP, 40 FT-Lbs & probably 7 more MPG if you attach it to a stick shift or modern automatic. Over 150K, the 4.0 v6 will save you ~2,000 gallons vs a stroker. Call it 6 grand. If you plan to keep the Jeep that long... makes sense to me.

60 HP, 40 FT-Lbs & probably 7 more MPG if you attach it to a stick shift or modern automatic. Over 150K, the 4.0 v6 will save you ~2,000 gallons vs a stroker. Call it 6 grand. If you plan to keep the Jeep that long... makes sense to me.

Like I said, you're not gaining enough to make it worth while...at the current national average (http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/) that 2000 gallons your using by doing a stroker is going to cost you $5620 which is less, AND is spread out over YEARS, instead of forking out 6k right up front.

I too am in on this. Those of you who have done the swap, let us hear from you.

thats like a hybrid vs regular debate...

To me it's more like a Diesel Vs Regular debate (talking trucks)...unless you tow heavy loads A LOT, it would take forever to recover any cost savings in the diesel vs the gas engine. Yeah you'll pay more at the pump because you're burning more fuel, but the engine is today's diesels are upwards of $10,000 for the option, plus, diesel costs more than gas and they're cracking down on using farm fuel, at least out here!

A little more fuel cost for a stroker vs more initial cost for the 3.8.

Stroker is a bolt in application vs heavy wiring modification

More power low end power in a tried and true block vs not so much.

I'll stick with my stroker.

Parakeet

A little more fuel cost for a stroker vs more initial cost for the 3.8.

Stroker is a bolt in application vs heavy wiring modification

More power low end power in a tried and true block vs not so much.

I'll stick with my stroker.

Parakeet

Exactly the point I was making. Even in his stated 150k miles, the stroker still costs less by about $400

Before anyone flames - yes, I know that a Mopar v6 is not as badass as a Chevy V8, it wouldn't be as fast, it wouldn't be easy and that a stroker would be cheaper.
Cost issues aside,(go argue with your local junk yard)a V-6 swap(any modern V-6) makes a lot of sense in an XJ.
1)As much as we all love the inline, it has a serious weight problem. I think every small-block made and some of the big-blocks weigh less the the 4.0. Any V-6 is going to be much lighter(2-300lb)
2)Short engine. Less weight, further back = better balance. As well as heavy, the 4.0 places a third of the engine weight in front of the front axle. A V-6 would be much easier to place in the engine compartment, or locate it forward to add a doubler or extremely long transmission.(Yes, I know, all that weight, that far forward is one of the reasons XJs climb so well. It's also the reason our rear brakes suck so bad)
3)Cooling issues. The chassis is limited in how much radiator you can get in before you have to start cutting structure. Limit yourself to 200-230 hp, the stock cooling system is going to work.

As far as making the mopar engine management run, you have less "off the shelf" swap hardware then you can buy for an LS, but making a stand alone or integrated harness for anything up to OBD-2 isn't that hard(time consuming, but not hard) and there are several aftermarket engine management systems available.

I know it's sacrilege, but I always kind of wondered how an XJ would have worked out with the last generation 3.4 60 deg-6 that Chevy turned out. The last(conventional OHV)version of that motor made about 185hp.(there was a DOHC version that went to 210+ if you really want to imagine,...)

If your going to throw piles of cash at your jeep you want it to be badass right? and the 3.8 is not ,now on the other hand a 4.6 or 5.0 stroker with a nasty cam and maybe even (gasp) a turbo slapped on it making 3-400 or more in horse power will as well as a rip snortin v8 would be way cooler and somewhat simpler than a v6 that sounds retarded and doenst know what it is . also who gives a shit about gas mileage if your a normal jeeper you want big tires a lift and armor and big running gear your not gonna get good gas mileage not to mention the pain i nthe ass in finding one of those engines compared to a v8 or i6

^x3...I've said it twice already...VERY little benefit for the cost! NO cool factor at all IMO...I mean seriously so you tell your buddies, yeah man, check this out! 4.0 mopar V6 swap...more hp and tq AND better gas mileage and it's basically a stock setup...oh how much did it cost? $6,000......REALLY think about what you're saying...you're willing to spend the better part of $10g's to get essentially a stock performing engine?!?! OHHHHH but I forgot, it weighs less too!!!! BIG DEAL!!!

I duno guys.

Seems that if you had a blown 4.0L and one of these showed up in the JY one might be temped to swap it over. I'm positive it wouldn't cost no 6K for a JY engine.

You'd have to have the harness and computer to make a go of it.

I duno guys.

Seems that if you had a blown 4.0L and one of these showed up in the JY one might be temped to swap it over. I'm positive it wouldn't cost no 6K for a JY engine.

You'd have to have the harness and computer to make a go of it.

The engine itself no, but the rest of it might add up pretty quickly...don't forget he also talked about changing the tranny.

Lemme ask ya this, let's say it would cost 3 grand for everything...if one had a blown 4.0, wouldn't it STILL be MORE beneficial to get a used 4.0 I6 from a JY??? There's not enough "added value" (retail term) to justify the cost difference.

Not to mention, if you blow a 4.0, you could swap a replacement 4.0 in a day or weekend. How long would it take to convert?

Sometimes it is not about cost, but all about doing something different.

There are folks here with literally thousands spent on just their suspensions. They didn't do that to save money, they did it for the challenge of improving the family station wagon. :)

Sometimes it is not about cost, but all about doing something different.

There are folks here with literally thousands spent on just their suspensions. They didn't do that to save money, they did it for the challenge of improving the family station wagon. :)

Understood, but again, what REALY improvement are you getting for the extra effort? In the suspension, absolutely, you drive it all the time you will benefit from the upgrade. But 6 grand on an engine plus all that extra time and fabbing for less than 100hp????

Hardly seems worth it imho.

Let's change it up a little bit...say you're at McDonalds and they have a Big mac for $1.50 and you can eat it normally and get full until your next meal. BUT, they have a SUPER BIG MAC for $125.00, it will leave you full for the rest of the day, but you have to eat it with toothpicks ONLY....is it worth the extra money and effort????

if we want to get back onto breaking even, a used 4.0 for $500 would take years as well to equal the costs of the V6 install due to its "worse gas mileage". now, imagine if you calculated your labor hours into the equation. not worth it considering the support for an LS1 or something similar is much greater and more desirable. you NOT going to get what you put into it if you ever decided to sell. you may not with a LS1 either, but youll be a hell of a lot closer.

Guys, he is looking at this for the same reason that I stuffed the 6.5L turbo-diesel into my Grand Wagoneer. I say go for it. An ultra-modern V6 with all the bells and whistles should net better power and mileage, but that isn't the real reason for the swap. It is the cool factor that goes with it.

Back