• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! leaf spring bolt...

gameface87

NAXJA Forum User
So as I was removing the passenger side leaf spring, I ran into some troubles with the front bolt. The inner bushing sleeve fused to the bolt making it impossible to get out. Did some research, i guess this happens all the time. So in frustration I cut the bolt on either side of the leaf spring. My problem is that I cut way too close to the mount.

Fast forward a week. Now i have welded this bolt, torched it, beat it, and attempted to weld it to no avail. The bolt is now flush with the mount. I have a hole drilled about 1/4 inch in the bolt. I am so desperate. Any Suggestions? :dunno:

ps. Ive been searching for the past week and still havent found an answer.

Have you been heating just the bolt or the nut? You can drill a hole in the pocket where the nut sits and throw some heat directly on the nut to help you out.

You're basically SOL at this point and are probably looking at cutting out the weld nut and using a regular bolt/nut.

I Actually did exactly did that on the drivers side, after i saw what happened on the passengers side. I decided to cut the bracket and beat the nut out. it worked. thanks for you help.

I Actually did exactly did that on the drivers side, after i saw what happened on the passengers side. I decided to cut the bracket and beat the nut out. it worked. thanks for you help.

I've put four lifts on different XJ's and don't even bother with a wrench on the leaf springs. Glad you're on your way.

I'm confused on what the problem is. Were you able to get the leaf spring out or not? It sounds like you did, but you accidentally cut into the weld nut. If you cut into the weld nut, cut the rest of it out and hold a new nut on a wrench while you put the new leafs and new bolt in.

Back