• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Rear Shafts

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
Alrighty. I plan to put a Waggy 44 under the front of the Jeep here in the next couple weeks... I have an explorer 8.8 in the back.

I certainly want my wheels to match so I'll have to either change my rear pattern to 6x5.5 or my front and rear pattern to 5x5.5.

Now, from what I understand the only pattern that I can convert the Waggy44 to is 5x5.5 then buy adapters for the rear to make the 8.8 5x5.5 and buy a whole new set of wheels.

Second option is to find custom shafts for the 8.8 to use the 6x5.5 pattern... The only good thing about this is that I won't have to change the front over at all and I ALREADY have a complete set of black 6x5.5 wheels...

Second option seems much more practical.

Question is where can I find those shafts... Explorer 8.8 with discs with a 6x5.5 pattern. and what would I have to do with the rotors? I figured I could slap them on the mill and redrill them as long as the hub locates them once they're on the axle...

Last edited:
ok, scratch that. I was wrong. I have a set of wheels off of a Samurai which are 5x5.5.

So now I need 4x4.5 to 5x5.5 adapters for the rear and all the goodies to convert the front to 5x5.5.

Now that I've already started a thread... If ya know the list of stuff I need for the front feel free to let me know.

In the mean time I'll me searching....

Can't you just have your 8.8 shafts redrilled for 5x5.5?

Yes I could redrill them myself on the mill to 5x5.5 but I couldn't redrill to 6x5.5 because the holes would overlap.

BUT the reason I'd like to use adapters is that the Waggy 44 is a lil wider than the 8.8. It'd make it the same width.

I'm fairly sure I'm going to convert to 5x5.5 now since THOSE are the wheels I have and it'd be A LOT cheaper to convert the front and buy adapters for the back than it would be to buy custom shafts and a set of wheels...

Oh yeah, I also have a Ford D44 that I can rob parts from.

Hubs rotors and wheels bearings will come from this axle, right?

and from what I understand I'll have to use Chevrolet caliper brackets, calipers, spindles, spindle seals... correct?

So, I already have hubs, I'll get new rotors and wheel bearings for the Ford axle and I need to find Chevy spindles.

Seems like the Calipers and caliper brackets would work...

The holes shouldnt overlap if you offset them.

You need the shaft outers redrilled and your brakes, whatever kind you are running need the rotor or the drum redrilled, that is it.

Ok, I'll do one or the other. Not really worried about the back axle anymore.

Just making sure that Chevy D44 spindles and all the ford stuff I already have will be all I need.

I'd convert both to 5x5.5 personally (you can do the waggy 44 with just new knuckles/hubs right? not really up on my 44 tech)

The 8.8 is a tad narrow and could use the extra width from some spacers anyways. Won't hurt anything.

Back