• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternater Upgrade

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
I need to badly upgrade my alternater due to that I have currently a 9000i Warn winch, (1) 850 Watt amp., (1) 1000 Watt amp., On-board air, (2) Hella 55 Watt. Halogens and complete set of LED rock lights. Also later down the road I want to install an on board welder and some more flood lights. I currently am running (1) battery that I have no idea how old it is and the stock alternator. My plan is to install (2) Deep Cycle Optimas under the hood and upgrade the alternator.

Were do I find a good powerfull alternator?

I've seen the mean green ones but thats about it. Point me in the right direction.

What year XJ?

If it's a 98 as your username implies, I believe the later Durangos have a 160A alternator. My buddy Dundy on here has one in his '01.

Ya it's a 98. My bee for not making that clear.

Do you now what year Durango by any chance and model durango? I would want to get a new one.

Part number 12329 available from autozone. It's a 160A alternator that uses the plug in connector found on the 97+ models. It will require some grinding to fit it as it's larger than the stock alternator. Not 100% sure if it will fit in stock location due to size and when I installed it I did the relocation to where the a/c was.

Yea im the type of wheeler that likes to have the windows down and the AC blown like a tornado on those hot days. So the AC has got to stay.

Are there any other options out there?

I put in a 136 amp alternater, they came in 97-98grands, 97-98dakotas and others, I just got one new from the parts store. The part number is
56027913. It is bigger but it will fit in the stock location (my jeep is a 98) but one of the bolt holes won't line up. I just left it out. Im really not to worried about it. Also the pully is made for a wider belt, so there is one extra grove that's not used.

@white: YOu just need to grind a litte more.. It fits no problem and all bolt lign up fine. YES on the wiring upgrade.. A must.. ALso fuse it as well, 140amp marine breaker fits in the area in front of the fuse block under the hood. DO a search. Charles wrote a thread up on this..

Back