• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: 89 Cherokee Starter

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
My starter has been cranking slower over the years. Still plenty of grunt left to start but I'm thinking it's time to renew or replace the starter. Is there such a thing as a starter rebuild kit, or should I just get a rebuild?

Also thinking it's time to replace the power cables to ensure that full power is getting to the starter.

Thanks for any advice.

You could pull it, clean things up--any oil leaking into the starter-solenoid?

I would upgrade your main cables, and have the battery load tested to see if it is up to par. Living in the land of the Moose and mukluks a GOOD battery is paramount in cold weather.

If after the starter-solenoid is cleaned, new heavy cables and the battery tested or replaced it is still slow cranking then it would be time to consider a new starter.

Note that the Renix has to "spin up" to start. Until the engine is cranking at 300+ RPMs the crank sensor won't generate a strong enough signal for the ECU to fire the engine. Cold weather combined with marginal components will get you stuck.

Thanks for your note Joe. My battery has been tested and is in excellent condition. I'm going to take your advice and upgrade the cables. Going to try to make my own if I can find the right cables and terminals.

I'm also going to do some other work under the truck so I'll try to get the starter off for a good cleanup when I'm under there.

" ..over the years..."
Doesn't sound like a starter problem, IMHO, once a starter gets weak, it dies rather quickly.
I would start at the starter (LOL).
Disconnect battery positive to prevent trouble.
Remove clean replace the big wire connection at the starter.
Clean battery connections
Then reconnect battery positive.

Back