• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have another quick question

trevanator

NAXJA Forum User
I have a squeaky belt but I am not sure if it is the belt since the belt is in great shape and relatively new but its still possible
it makes the noise when i start it up and its cold and goes away as it heats up
its a squeak that seems to be in time with a spot on the belt so as it makes a revolution it squeaks once and as the revs go up so does the squeaking so it makes me think belt
but before i go spend 40 bucks on a belt i thought id as if anyone has any other opinions as to what it is and maybe some insight on how i could find out
oh and when i have put a lube on the belt before it stops squeaking for a couple days too
thanks

yeah i thought about that but its tight its right where it needs to be ive had it off and put back on and tightened multiple times so at least one of those times i would have had to of gotten it tight lol so im thinking its something else maybe a pully but idk and idk how to tell either

could be one of multipe bearings going out. if you ever have the belt off, try to wiggle the pulleys with bearings, like the idler pulley, a/c or a/c delete pulley, waterpump, alternator. you may even be able to feel it with the belt on, if it is bad enough.

do you have a spare belt? if not, pull this one and put it under your seat as a spare. if the new one doesnt squeek, then you have a 95% OK emergency spare belt.

as far as belt tension, ive never used a gauge, ever. im sure theyre nice and all... but whatever. my test, is under full tension, you should be able to move the belt down no more than 1/8 to 3/16". never have problems.

thanks xcm ill have to check the pulleys and see if they wiggle i know its not the waterpump cause i just replaced that and its fine but it could be one of the others ill check it out

Back