• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaybar bushings... poly or rubber?

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
The bushings are shot on my front swaybar. Not the ones on the end links for my disconnects, but the ones that mount the swaybar to the unibody. I am looking around for a replacement set and I found the poly bushings... are they any better then the stock rubber ones? I have poly bushings in my shackles and I haven't been that impressed with them but maybe in this different application they'd be better?

You're going to find a 50-50 mix of lovers and haters. Yeah, they're harder, and may last longer. But, are the harshness and squeaking worth it? I did the whole front end of my '92 in red urethane, and it was needlessly harsh, with extra axle hop (?), until the energy of a bump, pothole, or frost-heave dissipates. I've since installed OEM type control arms and the track bar, leaving only the 'frame' bushings in red. When they squawk, it sounds like something is breaking!

I've come to the conclusion, after fooling with suspension bushings over a few decades time, that sometimes you can improve things a little, but 99% of the time, the well-paid engineers earned their paychecks!

I hated poly on my ZJ because of the squeaking. Greasing them with bearing grease makes them melt away over time. I also found they let the sway bar wander side-side and I had to put hose clamps on either side of the body mounts to keep it from moving so far that the end links starting hitting things. Went back to a set of rubbers from the junkyard and all was good again.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I hate squeaks and rattles on my Jeep and I'm forever tracking them down to fix them. I'll just put in OEM rubber bushings. Thanks!
Mark

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I hate squeaks and rattles on my Jeep and I'm forever tracking them down to fix them. I'll just put in OEM rubber bushings. Thanks!
Mark

Just make sure you get the right size. There are a few different diameters of sway bars, and they don't seem to follow any rhyme or reason, or option package!

Back