• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Be Cool radiator issues

EricXDm9

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, this is my first thread here.
I purchased a Be Cool "direct fit" radiator in fall of 2007 from Summit Racing for my 1998 XJ Sport 4.0L/AW4 4 door 4WD. The shop that did the install had major issues with getting it to fit (due to improper construction of the radiator) They were able to get it in by re-drilling the mounting holes about 1" forward of the original locations. Some direct fit...
The radiator started leaking from one of the rows towards the lower center and was replaced in July of 2008. Summit racing was very good with the return process. The vehicle basically sat for most of 2009, and the beginning of this year. I installed 2 Be Cool 11" 1400 CFM fans controlled with a Flex-a-lite controller. It worked extremely well until I noticed it leaking yesterday. I took a closer look and it is leaking from one of the rows on the lower driver’s side. I did a part number search on Summit and Be Cool's website and I don’t even see it listed, so I don’t even know is it is still available.
Has anyone else here dealt with this company or know anyone who has had any issues? A $500 radiator should last more than 4K miles.
It’s sitting properly in its new location and is not physically damaged anywhere. (i.e. rock impact) It is used as a daily driver. Aside from the occasional speed bump and the vibration from the poly motor/trans mounts, there is not much in the way of jarring or impacts.
I am calling Be Cool on Monday with the hopes they will help me out with it.

Last edited:
I have not dealt with Be Cool, but I couldn't pay 500$ for a radiator either. Dump that Be Cool radiator and go with a CSF Radiator from DPG. its only 189$ and it cools like a mother...

I had the same problem with a be cool rad from summit. The studs on the bottom were to big and a tight fit. The radiator started leaking after a couple weeks, summit replaced it no questions asked, after the second one started leaking. I exchanged it for in store credit as I had other things to buy. I believe flex in the unit body and the large studs are what causes the be cool rads to crack and leak. With the large studs the rad is basically hard mounted to the xj. The studs on the bottom need to be smaller so they will fit in the bushings properly. I had to remove the bushings for it to even fit. Ive since changed to a copper/ brass rad, it cools fine and is more durable than alum. I would have thought be cool would have fixed the problem by now. I bought and returned mine back in '06. My Jeeps a '91

The studs fit in the stock bushings, but there were other construction issues with the radiator. We are really tight on money, so ditching it and spending another $200 won't go over well with my wife. Thanks for the info xj9140, the more people with similar issues will help my case when I call Be Cool and Summit.

Be Cool radiators are Great! I have one on my mustang it also had mounting issues. Once you get it squared away you will be happy you stuck with it.

Make something work with rubber bushings so you don't get that cracking problem o_O

I looked at the Griffin before I bought the Be Cool. The Griffins have an epoxy coated interior that I was told will reduce the cooling capability. It probably doesn't matter, and I wish I had gone with them. They are both the same thickness.

So I called Be Cool and spoke with one of the guys Ive talked to before. We came to a deal: I send the radiator in (and pay that shipping) They will check it over and repair it and ship it back on their dime. Shipping will be about $25-$30, so thats not too bad. I hope that this repair will last.

Thanks for all your help.

NO! I've been having overheating issues with my cherokee and finally went to radiatorbarn.com and ordered their 3 core brass one for $190 shipped. I also threw in one of those heavy duty fan clutches from napa from a 97 zj with an inline 6. I now drive on the freeway in phoenix arizona with my AC on and my jeep won't go over 190. I've not had any issues with their radiator and am VERY pleased for such a great price. You'll find a lot of people like these CSF radiators in their cherokees, and if you get one you'll know why.

Also, they come with a lifetime warranty.

Back