• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building my Non-Existant XJ

tdkask

NAXJA Forum User
I have posted a few times on here and have mentioned that I'm deployed on a US Naval Carrier right now, but will be buying a XJ in the early spring. I want to do a few basic mods and would like the experience of doing the stuff myself on a budget, so wanted to ask around. I expect that most of the answers are here already, but it takes me forever to access even this page and surfing the whole forum would take days with this internet, still I'm not complaining, slow internet in the middle of the ocean is better than none.

So here goes:

I want to do a bastard pack of springs in the rear... and have questions about the springs. I hear that if I completely swap top leaf out too with S-10 it will move the axle back some, too. Does anyone know how far?

Also, any suggestions for a spring that is just 1-2 inches longer? I figure with a slightly longer spring and angled shackles I'd get more flex on droop kind of like the revolver theory? Is this a bad idea?

Will a longer shackle cause the axle to rotate some, and therefore fix some of the pinion angle concerns, also? I am looking for 3-4 inches lift and probably 1" or less of transfer case drop, so am worried about vibrations.

Is there a good solution for junkyard lift in the front, or can I expect to get a rough ride with any stock springs that net 4" lift? What springs will fit suitable? I know V-8 ZJs supposedly give 2-3", but are a bit stiff. What is recommended? Aftermarket the most sensible way to go, or have people gotten good results with other springs?

With 4" lift and 1" or so fender trim, can I stuff 32"x10"? 33"x12.5"?

Also, is there a good source of junkyard driveshafts just slightly longer? What do i need to look for (other than length)? Just the right size universals and I got from there? Can I grab pretty much anything from any vehicle?

What other steering arms will give me a little bit of drop without significant mods?

Finally, anyone have a pulled rear shaft from a SYE that they want to get rid of cheap? I'd want to do the H&T on it before I opened the T-Case up. Are they pretty much interchangeable?

Thanks for any responses and knowledge you can impart. It is much appreciated.

tdkask

i know you feel about being deployed. i am current deployed and third world countries internet isn't much better. as far as the lift goes i would almost just buy a cheaper kit. a daystar budget boost would be a good start, i got about an inch out of mine and the longer shackle helped. i know with my jeep i have around 3-3.5" of lift and with heavy trimming i can fit my 33" with no problem however with the wheels i have i do rub my control arms and full lock pretty bad. as far as bastard packs go there is a lot of info on here i would just wait tell you get back and can take a list with you to the junk yard. also just a personal opinion but i would get a sye it not only works better but keeps you belly height up. also another thing i would think is a good set of skid plates! well "semen" have fun on your cruise ;) i hope this helps

Hmmm, thought I posted a reply, but it's not here... this internet is pretty bad, and may have been locking up at the time. Anyway.

I want to do the junkyard lift it its a viable option. I don't want to spend time and money on something I would hate... not necessarily even a money issue... I just want to do it to know I did it and I had my hands in the change. I'd like to build it the way Jeep should have, with parts from the Chrysler shelves, I think (Dakota bastard pack?). It will be cool if it saves a few hundred dollars in the end... that's a bumper or winch or something, but mostly I want to get involved and be a part of building it to the smallest level. What I really was asking is;

If ZJ coil springs and a spacer is a worse ride than aftermarket coils?

Will a bastard pack feel a lot stiffer than AAL?

Is there a simple way to move the front spring mount 1-2 inches back, then angle the (longer) shackles for more flex and better pinion angle?

What other stock steering arm will drop to allow for better steering geometry with 3-4" lift?

Thanks for any replies, full or partial.

i don't know about zj coils from experiance but i would imagine that they are stiffer. a bastard packs stiffness will depend on what spring/spring rate you used to build it. if you use a spring that is longer eye to eye than a stock xj with more height it will most likely move your axle back as well give you some lift. if you do use a spring like that i would recomend getting some of hd offroad egineering shackle relocation kit or build something similiar yourself if you have the skill. here is a link to a post that was on here awhile back that was all about the junkyard and what you could find there. http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66012 hope this helps

Thanks for the input guys. I have decent (not great, but decent) internet tonight, so was checking out that link (thanks rossmiller) and reading up everywhere. I really do want to do this mod. If I run across the front ZJ set CHEAP I will give it a try, otherwise likely aftermarket. I will likely build my own rear set using longer springs to increase shackle angle and maybe move axle back 1-2 inches if I can find a good donor. The ZJ pittman and YJ brake lines will be good ad-ons too, I think. Thanks for all the info, and when I get to it all I'll post my first real thread and my first write-up here.

Oil Town XJ said:
why do you want to move the axle back, with 3"s of lift and 31"s? your just going to hang yourself up faster
DoctorPhate said:
I would assume stability on inclines.
Both very good points, but I was actually thinking departure angle. The approach is good with a lower profile aftermarket bumper, I think, but departure is harder to adjust for with the quarter panels and tanks and all there, and then adding more angle and drop to the shackle. I suppose there has to be a good balance of all of those aspects. I'm really kinda clueless though, and am just trying to think through it all and not do it wrong the fiirst couple times. Also, If I can get 32's under 3-4 lift with about 1" fender trim I'd be even happier. Especially if only 3", as I don't want to have to do a SYE right off. I know I will eventually need a SYE and new LCAs, but want to get that extra lift and non-stock look and capability with the first set of tires an the new jeep, and then by the time I get to the second set of tires I'll maybe go 33's x 12.5, 4" lift, and new wider wheels. For now, the goal is to buy the jeep, get a decent set of 31-32 tires, do the JunkYard lift and see where the first year takes me. I won't have the budget for the whole shabang right off, and don't want to drive it stock forever... so will meet in the middle with a decent DD/WW. Also, I'll probable go a little more in the back to allow for settle and the droop of a full cargo area on camping trips and for the rack I'll probably build for the top.

Again, all the input is appreciated, and I found several links yesterday, as I was on land for a couple days and found a couple hours to surf the web yesterday. Thanks, and keep the info coming.

heres a link that might help you out a little as far as your rear bastard pack and where the main leafs will relocate your axle to http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004504

as far as the fronts i would just shell out a few extra bills and find some good used springs designed for the xj to lift it however much you would like, you will thank yourself later

32s will be fine with 4 inches and 33s will be fine with the lift and trim...im stuffing 32s with minimal lift and a trim right now

btw what boat are you on, im in va beach for a while right now, just got out of the Marine Corps so when you get back let me know if you need any help, i could always take another excuse to go to the yard

Thanks. I'm on the Truman, and will beat Santa to the house, but won't get to buy my XJ and start the mods till tax season. Coming off cruise, we have all the bills paid down, I'm in a low tax bracket being dployed 7 months, and with the kids too should get a big refund... "Jeep Build Economy Stimulus:. :) I'd like to see your Jeep, too. Wanna see how the lift/trim/tire combo you have looks. I am not looking to head to Moab just yet, but maybe some of the tamer parts of Uwharrie would be cool to try. Other than that, mostly just back and forth to work and the occasional camping trip. I really appreciate all the info here and look forward to becoming a member. I feel like I should at least have a XJ before joining, though, and don't wanna be a poser. haha

Thanks. I'm on the Truman, and will beat Santa to the house, but won't get to buy my XJ and start the mods till tax season. Coming off cruise, we have all the bills paid down, I'm in a low tax bracket being dployed 7 months, and with the kids too should get a big refund... "Jeep Build Economy Stimulus:. :) I'd like to see your Jeep, too. Wanna see how the lift/trim/tire combo you have looks. I am not looking to head to Moab just yet, but maybe some of the tamer parts of Uwharrie would be cool to try. Other than that, mostly just back and forth to work and the occasional camping trip. I really appreciate all the info here and look forward to becoming a member. I feel like I should at least have a XJ before joining, though, and don't wanna be a poser. haha

Back