• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scheduled Maintenance for 150,000+

hankthecowdog

NAXJA Forum User
Really enjoy my XJ bought it at 116k now its about to hit 150k... Its been taken care of well from previous owners. My question is what do I need to take care of/ have replaced to keep this running 250,000+ :spin1:

98 XJ sport inline 6, its been running great since Ive bought it small repairs now and then. Only real problem is slight leaking of rear seal on the transfer case, I think bc the drive shaft isnt long enough for the lift.

The Owners Manual has a Preventative Maintenance schedule and a complete list of recommended fluid types and capacities.

If you don't have an Owners Manual, I highly recommend that you search the junkyard for one, check on eBay, and see the NAXJA For Sale and Part Wanted sections.

Keep the oil changed(3000 miles) use quality oil and filters. You have a truck motor so use the correct oil for it.
Keep the radiator clean--fresh fluid, Because of the age maybe even replace the radiator-good hoses,correct coolant and mixture.
Serpentine belt-if over two years old =replace.,Fan Clutch--if over 5 years old =replace.
Trans fluid-drain& fill.Axles =same,TC=same.
Purpose is to keep it cool and clean=longevity
Run some injector cleaner thru the gas--NO fuel filter unless you want to drop tank and pull fuel pump.

My 96 has over 320,000.Wifes 98 has over 250,000.. this has worked for me.

Wayne

Fluids, fluids, fluids! Keep em fresh as they are the lifeblood of your vehicle.

Tuneup parts. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, a good fuel injector cleaner once in a while.

Don't forget about cooling system maintenance items like hoses and a new 195 degree thermostat. Hoses and stats often overlooked and they shouldn't be!

My '99 XJ is just around 150,00 now, and my rule is to replace EVERY fluid (except brake and power steering) every summer, and oil (with a large capacity filter) every 3,000. It sounds like overkill, but I've had no major problems, take it offroad, and still get great feedback on its mechanics from other motorheads.

Back