• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Idle

mizzutgr

NAXJA Forum User
99 4.0 5 speed. I have idle that runs about 1200 rpms when I engage the clutch. When I am at a complete stop it will come down to 750. Any other time it runs high- coasting- shifting gears, but when I come to a full stop it slows down. I have a big canister type k&n and a higher flow cat and muffler. Could that be the problem?

Doubt it.

Start with cleaning the throttle body and pay particular attention to the IAC port. Clean the IAC pintle. See if that makes a difference.

cleaned already.

Nice bit of information you could have shared up front.

Remove the intake tube from the throttle body. Operate the throttle by hand, slowly, while you observe the throttle plate to see if it fully closes each time.

Post up what you find.

The problem was a lose temperature sensor conection. My temp guage has been all over the place for a while now- sometimes it would read correct but most of the time it would read just about 120. Pulled it apart cleaned it and put it back together- seems to have cured all my problems.
Idles just fine now.

Back