• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eaton M90 Supercharger

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. This may be crazy. This may be stupid. BUT... I can get one of these things DIRT CHEAP! and, when something like that happens to me, I start thinking, maybe I can actually pull this off! I would be getting what I would imagine the most expensive part of a build like this for very cheap. That alone is encouraging to nail a project like this.

So, before this becomes a really bad idea and a project way beyond my realm, I want to know if THIS supercharger was ever fitted to our 4.0?? It looks like it would be a great model to go with this engine. Here is the newer model form the web site, but I believe the specs are very similar:

M90 Supercharger

I figure, for the price I can get it, it might be a really neat project to work on over time. I would have no rush, infact, I would have to wait until I have my own garage and another car to drive when I actually do the install. Until the actual install, I can work on acquiring parts and engineering the whole thing.

I see a ton of turbo builds on here, but never a twin-screw supercharger. These things are my all-time favorite mod for boost. They sound sick, and no lag. They put out a good amount of boost making heavy modifications to the block not necessary. I would imagine that with the turbo builds, the computer tuning would be similar (if not the same)? So... I want to hear thoughts from you guys. I really may do this. I always wanted to do the stroker, but I think this would be comparatively just as good for power improvement. And, aside from the fuel and tuning, I feel more confidant in installing this than ripping an entire engine apart. Plus, could make a really cool write-up!

(Mods - not sure if this thread may be better in street/performance?? move if needed.)

I'm pretty sure that someone on here has run an m90 unit and even tried to sell it lately. You might want to try look in street and performance. I'm pretty sure it involved making a customer intake manifold.

Wasn't there a guy selling kits to be able to install them. I think they were on ebay about a year ago. Did I just dream that up?

Thanks for the resources! I think this is something I may do with my spare time... Just work on it slowly, and take my time finding the best deal on parts. I think this would be a great alternative to the stroker. I'd rather not rip an engine apart, and realize I got myself into something I wouldn't be able to finish. At least with this, if it fails, just go back to stock.

I have a lot of great resources at my workplace that I am able to take advantage of for fabricating parts, maybe even buying parts... I would rather fabricate stuff than buy it anyhow... again, something to do and fill in my time.

Turns out after a bit of research, the inter-cooler (if I decide to go with one) is going to cost the most. Gotta keep an eye out for the deals though!

Again, thanks for the support! Hopefully it wont be too long until I am boosted!

Getting the supercharger is actually the easy part. The hard part is getting your hands on a modified intake manifold, a piggynback ecu, and a solution that adds more fuel under boost.

CanMan's solution eliminates the need for a custom manifold, but it also forces you to ditch your AC compressor. There was a guy on youtube that ran a similar set-up; unfortunately, his video was deleted a while back.

Getting the supercharger is actually the easy part. The hard part is getting your hands on a modified intake manifold, a piggynback ecu, and a solution that adds more fuel under boost.

CanMan's solution eliminates the need for a custom manifold, but it also forces you to ditch your AC compressor. There was a guy on youtube that ran a similar set-up; unfortunately, his video was deleted a while back.

I have seen both ways applied, and I really would hate to lose the AC. I was hoping to fabricate something that I could adapt to the stock manifold, but it would be too high to use an intercooler similar to those on the Pontiac Grand AMs. the whole thing would end up above the hood! That almost forces putting it on the AC side. I have seen people run these without intercoolers, and that just seems like a bad idea blowing hot compressed air into the engine...

As for the computer management for fuel and everything, that is what scares me most. I see now that the supercharger itself is cheap to get a hold of. There is no way I am ready for something like this. I still would love to do it though. Maybe I will one day down the road... trail, I mean!

I was hoping to fabricate something that I could adapt to the stock manifold, but it would be too high to use an intercooler similar to those on the Pontiac Grand AMs. the whole thing would end up above the hood!

qsnsdz.jpg

2i92q9x.jpg

Back