• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"rain gutter"

awdxtc

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure what the real name is but the things that run the length of the jeep above the doors that channel water....how do they come off?

They're on there with little clips. If you pinch the gutter with your fingers about 4" apart starting at the front or back you can "roll" it forward and lift it off. You may need to use pliers (but if you don't want to jack it up, be careful).

I've taken a couple of them off at the junkyard and they really came off pretty easily.

The gutters themselves do not come off. Remember, after market roof racks are attached to the rain gutter with special brackets.
However, some XJ trim levels or years have a chrome trim that is attached to the gutter. The trim could be lifted off. The '94 I once had had that chrome trim. My present '96 do not have the trim.

My present '96 do not have the trim.

Are you sure? Unless it's been removed I believe they all had the trim. Some chrome others body color. JIM.

Are you sure? Unless it's been removed I believe they all had the trim. Some chrome others body color. JIM.

And some black. But yeah, I believe all XJs had something clipped onto the rain gutters.

And some black. But yeah, I believe all XJs had something clipped onto the rain gutters.
yes they all have an aluminum trim that is removeable
if your's is missing it's probably at your local carwash

No, not all XJ's had something clipped to the rain gutter. The older ones did, but the '97+ did not have this. I have yet to see one '97 that has anything, my two '99s included. I would have noticed something when I was hammering the rear roof straight after I smashed my rear windows out, or when I was hammering on the rain gutter itself.

No, not all XJ's had something clipped to the rain gutter. The older ones did, but the '97+ did not have this. I have yet to see one '97 that has anything, my two '99s included. I would have noticed something when I was hammering the rear roof straight after I smashed my rear windows out, or when I was hammering on the rain gutter itself.

I know that I had the black trim on my old 98 XJ. And we just replaced the trim on my buddy's 98. He had ripped the trim off on a tree and slightly bent the rain gutters. So we went to the junkyard and found some new straight trim pieces off an older model, hammered the gutters straight, and clipped on the trim.

The rain gutters have a pretty rough finish. I can't imagine them not having something there to cover them up.

a little trick I used when restoring old Mustangs:

Take an old fashioned "church key" (flat can & bottle opener) and wrap the rounded side (bottle opener) with a couple layers of masking tape. Use it just like you were opening a bottle and roll the molding up and off.

Perhaps the quality of the clips have lead people to believe the trim doesnt come off.

Every 97+ Ive played with had a colour matched trim.

I have not actually paid attention to mine before, but they do indeed have clips on them. I had thought they were part of the panels and not removable.

All of the gutter trim were made of stainless steel. Some were chrome plated; others
were semi-flat black or were paint-matched to the body color. They are secured with
5-6 metal clips.

My '93 has black gutter trim, my '98 has white gutter trim.

To remove them: Take a pair of ChannelLock pliers and wrap the jaws with masking
tape to prevent scratching the trim. Start at the front or back end of the car. Grab the
top & bottom edge of the trim with the ChannelLock and gently rock the trim upwards. The clip should pop loose. Work your way along the rest of the trim (there should be
5-6 clips).

Getting the trim back on is a bit trickier. Dab the clip with RTV silicone and hook the
edge of the clip onto the gutter. Tap it home with a rubber mallet. This requires a bit
of finesse and it's easier said than done.

So we're talking about the metal lip that sticks up? Some pictures would be nice, with it one and removed if possible. If it is what I think everyone is talking about, then I'm glad it is removable. I have noticed some minor surface rust, and that being removable would make it much easier to take car of. Because until now, I thought it was permanently attached. Especially since I have a snowboard/ski rack that attaches to those things.

Back