• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heated mirror kit for '96

You can mount the 97+ mirrors, probably look at a later model diagram for wires you need.

You can mount the 97+ mirrors, probably look at a later model diagram for wires you need.

The 97+ heated mirrors are also power mirrors I think.
That would make it impossible to adjust manually unless I make a complete power installation.
This is why I was looking for a kit.
Unless it is easy to make a complete power and heat installation if I can find the power mirror parts.
If I got it wrong, please let me know. I would like to have heated mirrors this winter.

I actually prefer the power mirrors for hand adjustment - my 96's mirrors were manual and damn near impossible to adjust using the joysticks anyways due to corrosion. I can simply push on the 97+ heated/power mirrors :D

There was no heated mirror option prior to 97, unfortunately (as far as I know.) You will need to run wires through the wiring boot in the door jamb to add it. You want to tap into the heavy black wire with the red stripe going to the defroster switch if I recall correctly.

Also - just checked my catalog, and there was no joystick on the 97-up manual mirror XJs, you had to reach out the window and push the glass. I might be interpreting the catalog wrong but I am fairly certain I'm not.

While you are at it, you can add power mirrors fairly easily... the left hand one isn't such a big deal, but I know I'm looking forward to the right hand mirror being powered. Wiring them up is simple enough, there is a pair of wires for the vertical motor and a pair for the horizontal motor. You power them one way to go up or left and the other way to down or right. This can be done quite simply with a pair of DPDT toggle switches or likely a mirror control button pad from nearly any vehicle, definitely ones from XJs.

Back