• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Gremlins

4.3LXJ

NAXJA Forum User
For the last couple of weeks, my XJ has been parked because I couldn't get it to start reliably. It was doing all sorts of weird stuff. Sometimes the starter would quit and go dead while cranking. Brand new high torque starter too. Sometimes it would just crank and never start. Sometimes it would fire a couple of times and quit. And sometimes it would start if you worked the ignition switch just right. So I tore into it and took the meter to everything. It turn out, after taking the column down and taking the ignition switch out and testing it, it was OK. Then I checked battery voltage and stuff and finally found that I had an intermittent voltage drop on the primary wire to the ignition switch. But only sometimes. I got to messing with the wires on the starter relay and it quit completely. I determined I had a fusible link getting ready to go south on me. So I decided to do what I have been recommending others to do. Replace them with circuit breakers. Thought I would eliminate a half pound of wire while I was at it and take power off the hot post on the back of the alternator. So here it is. My own brand new relays that run all the electrical for the whole Jeep.

IMG_0694.jpg

Back