• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Creaking, popping noise when steering

df80xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Jeep Cherokee with an RE 4.5 lift kit, 32 inch tires. There is a popping noise coming from the steering box area, which I have isolated to the track bar mounting bracket. All bolts on the bracket are tight, but the bracket appears to be moving, possibly as a result of the uni-body flexing. I have heard this noise can be caused by cracks that develop around the steering box, but have not seen any. Is it possible that this noise is being caused by movement of the frame rail near the steering box? If so, how do I fix this. I have considered getting a new front bumper which supports the steering box or possibly a new HD RE trackbar and bracket because the bracket doesn't appear to be in good shape. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I bet you have a Rusty's track bar bracket and I'll bet it's cracked.

I have an RE track bar and bracket and have the same problem.

I believe I may have a crack in the uni-body, but haven't inspected it yet...

My 94 did this a few years ago, and it's doing it again. The original cause was the weldnuts breaking free of the unibody for the frame end trackbar bracket.

If all the bolts are tight and it still moves either the unibody is cracked or the bracket is cracked. If you have a bracket that's not a Rusty's, It's likely the unibody that's cracked. Take the whole track bar and bracket out, inspect for cracks, weld them, plate around the track bar bracket, reinstall track bar bracket, weld track bar bracket to plating. No moh creaking.

Have you checked the steering box bolts and spacer?

I didn't realize some of the nuts were welded, I'll check again. I'm looking for an excuse to get a new front bumper. Any chance with tie in brackets that it would stiffen it up enough?

When I swapped engines, I discovered a short crack in the frame flange that the track bar sets on--the bottom flange that is trapped between the engine mount and the track bar mount. You can't see this unless you remove the frame part of the engine mount.

FWIW, I have an RE HD track bar and brace along with IRO OTK steering with the larger steering...I get popping probably 3-5 times per full lock to lock turn.

My trackbar is welded to the frame, my brace and bracket are tight to the frame, but the brace is even moving side to side. My plan is to weld the brace and bracket to the frame (I only have the top of the bracket welded, I need to weld the base of it) and plate it when I can.

A great way to help stiffen this part of the unibody is to get the RE1665/1670 (or fabricate your own). I noticed a difference immediately when I installed mine a while back.

A great way to help stiffen this part of the unibody is to get the RE1665/1670 (or fabricate your own). I noticed a difference immediately when I installed mine a while back.

x1000,neither one of my rigs has had the trackbar mount move in 10yrs!

Alright I will eat my own words, I found a crack near where my tracker bracket is welded to the frame. Looks like its time to plate the front frame.

i have had this problem too with the popping creeking noise as well but it was just my bolts on the bottom of the bracket being barely loose i mean i had to really put my back into it to get them to turn just slightly i maybe tightened them a full turn and that did the trick
idk if thats a possibility to anyone i thought it might be a crack too but just try and tighten them really well that might be all it is

I found what could be the problem. The horizontal bolts on the frame end track bar mount are loose and they won't tighten anymore because the rectangular piece of sheet metal they are attached to is split and the weld is broken. Does anyone know the size of these bolts? I am planning on cutting a new piece of sheet metal drilling holes in it and just using a regular bolt and nut without a weld.

if your going to run bolts all the way through you need to put spacers inside the rails. you dont need to replace that sheetmetal just drill the hole out now to get the welded nuts out and install a piece of tube that has the od of the hole you drilled and the id of the bolt

I had this issue with my track bar. I would tighten it up monthly. Eventually I had the bracket stitched to the sub-frame, end of noises.

Back