• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Could use opinions on my lift for my 98XJ

mattynicks3

NAXJA Forum User
So here's the deal. I wanted to get an IRO 5.5" long arm kit, but I am still open to other lifts as well. I was dubbing on craigslist and came across a used kit for sale.
It has Rubicon express leaf springs (full pack), RE front coils, Rough country fixed control arms, and a rusty's track bar. The guy is asking 500 firm.
I don't really have the coin to drop on the IRO lift but I figured if I saved up this winter I could probably have it for sprig time. Then I came across this lift on craigslist, and being wayyy more in my price range I am considering getting it. But I have heard some bad things about the RE leaf springs, and at $500 for this used kit, I was wondering if you guys think its worth spending an extra 200 bucks or so and just getting a brand new rusty's kit, or to stick with my original plan and bite the bullet on the IRO. I do know the rustys kit is not the quality that the IRO lift is, but it is also almost a grand cheaper.

I will note that this is my first build ever, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some opinions from you guys that have experience with this.
Thanks!

why do it twice? in my opinion your spending an addicitional 5-700 more for the IRO LA kit. if you know for sure your going to get the long arm kit then save and buy one time. unless you have to be lifted right now and cant wait till your saved up for it. thats just my opinion.

why do it twice? in my opinion your spending an addicitional 5-700 more for the IRO LA kit. if you know for sure your going to get the long arm kit then save and buy one time. unless you have to be lifted right now and cant wait till your saved up for it. thats just my opinion.

That's the reason why I wanted the IRO kit. I plan on driving it on the road, and I read up that the long arms not only help off road, but on the street as well. I mean everyone wants their stuff done NOW lol, but I figured if I could get my jeep lifted sooner that'd be cool. And who knows if I have good luck with one of these cheaper lifts then I won't be in any rush to shell out the extra dough for the upgraded kit. I guess there's pros and cons no matter which way you look at it

thats why i went with bds short arm. i figured for now i would be fine with the lift then down the road i can upgrade with there long arm kit. only thing though is it will cost a little extra to do the long arm swap but i could resell my uppers and lowers which are adjustable to counter the costs. i didnt need long arms yet so i figured id be fine. i think probably the best is do as clean4drxj said and piece one together for now to hold you over till money nets for the IRO. kinda wish i wouldve dont that but oh well.

TNT, BDS, clayton... all brands I'd run before IRO.

It's your choice though, buy whatever longarm kit you want.

I say this as someone who has bought everything multiple times...do it right the first time. It will be way cheaper in the long run.

That's a huge can of worms... a whole bunch of people don't like the way it's designed, a whole bunch think it's just fine, etc etc. Turns into a slugging match every time it gets discussed and I don't really want to open it back up again. Look at the design, think about how it works, if it's something you're comfortable with, buy it and run it.

Your going to want adjustable control arms sooner than later. Just pass on the craigslist deal. Build your own lift, bastard pack, RE HD track bar (never Rusty's using the TRE) and adjustable control arms. Coils you can get from a half dozen suppliers or go with junkyard coils. This is your fist lift. You will change it. Focus on armor and if you have a D35, get rid of it.

John

Last edited:
I did decide to pass on the craigslist lift. The guy was a pain in the ass to get any info from so I'm guessing he might have been BSing a little bit. I'd rather have the IRO kit anyways. I wouldn't mind going with the T&T lift but at just about 3 grand, I personally think its a waste of money right now. The IRO kit is practically 1/2 the cost, gives me the same amount of lift, and I have spoken and have been out wheeling with people that have IRO kits and swear by them. Seems like a well built kit to me.

And nosigma, I have the 8.25, 29 spline rear end.

2x i see some many people just buy the short arm kit and then want to go long arms save the extra couple hundred bucks and do it right the first time

Back