• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix to HO motor and trans swap

kevinde1

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have 89 cherokee with 201k and I will be swapping the motor with a 91 H.O. 120k while keeping the Renix system, I would also like to swap the transmission along with the transfercase from the 91. Ive read the write-ups for engine swap but I haven't found anything on using the newer transmission. Can anybody tell me what I'll need to do in order to use the newer transmission? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have the full 91? Just wrecked or something... Might as well pull the wiring harness and keep it H.O. The trans should be the same AW4. Might not have a cable drive speedometer though.

I have the whole 91 but its the "sport" so theres no cruise or A/C and I'm not to sure how to get that stuff working. I'm not opposed to doing it, just not sure how.

Rumor has it the renix adapts to mods better. Or atleast this is the common thought in the Stroker world.

Should be a direct swap. 91 should be the 7120 so the head won't be that different and that should be the only thing really different. Use your renix sensors.

PS: It's been a while since I did my renix HO stroker but I believe the temp sensor on the head could be a problem and my 7120 was the same. Also you need to adapt the TPS or buy an adapter. there's a writeup on the forum.

Searching should help it's what got me through mine.

Last edited:
The renix block is thicker and when bored over wont overheat as easily. It also has the knock sensor which will help by retarding the timing if predetonation occurs from running too lean or not high enough octane gas.

I wonder if the interior wiring is the same and you can just unplug right behind the fuse box at the firewall? Then you wouldnt have to worry about the cruise and all power options.

Yea I was kinda wondering about the fuse box thing myself. I took the time to pull the computer the right way just in case I figured someway to use the H.O. but I've never had any problems with the renix system its a clean jeep no rust or connection problems, it was pulled behind an RV for alongtime so maybe thats why the mileage is high, not sure. I already have the H.O. head on the Renix block and I didnt have any temp sensor problems but there was a gouge in one of the pistons so I was just trying to get by for the time being but its time to change the block and would like to change the trans and trasfer to avoid future problems. Thanks for all the help I'll continue this thread to help other jeepsters.

7120 head is tapped for the coolant sender. Use the Renix intake/exhaust gasket to ensure a good seal between the intak and the head. Also use all the Renix sensors and distributor. Don't forget to use the Renix flexplate/flywheel.

r. Don't forget to use the Renix flexplate/flywheel.

This

Just transfer the sensors to the new engine no need to pull the whole wiring harness. All of the HP gains are in the slightly larger TB and the head.

Right. I was actually just wondering what the differences were with the 89 aw4 and the 91 aw4. Will there be any complications with electronics since one is a Renix and the other an OBDI?

Last edited:
I used a 93 transmission, it works fine with the Renix system's TCU. I also used the newer TC so I didn't have any spline problems. Just remember to separate engine/trans and swap out that flexplate, the Renix CPS won't read the HO's flexplate properly, which I found out after I had put it all together and it wouldn't start :)

Back