• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-engine Swap Advice

GreenMachine1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey-

I just got a real good deal ($250) on a 1997 Cherokee 4.0, AW4, NP242, 150k with a cracked engine block. I have a complete 4.0 out of a 98 Cherokee in my garage with around 150k on it also. I have heard the spare motor idle for a brief second while the jeep was unloaded from a trailer but that's it. I want to swape this spare motor into the the 1997 Cherokee but I was wondering what maintenance everyone would do to the motor while it's already on the engine stand.

I was thinking intake/exhaust gaskets, valve cover gasket, head gasket, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, front main seal, water pump, obviously a tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, yadda yadda).

What else would you recommend? Anything I'm forgetting??

Thanks for the help!

New injector O-rings for which ever injector set you end up using.

New thermostat while you have it that far apart(get a Mopar or Stant, not a cheap one)

while its out and your doing the rear main seal. take a look at the oil pump pick up. granted mine has over 200k there was probably only 10% of the screen visable.

Never thought about injector o-rings...good idea. Already boiled the relatively new Mopar thermostat to make sure it opens/closes properly. I supposed I could replace it for added insurance.

Why not change the head gasket?? Parts are cheap and my labor is free. Motor is on a stand. I'd be annoyed if I got everything buttoned up to find a leaky head gasket a week later.

while its out and your doing the rear main seal. take a look at the oil pump pick up. granted mine has over 200k there was probably only 10% of the screen visable.

Might consider a new high-volume pump, cheap upgrade while you have it apart.

I will put in a high volume pump as cheap insurance while it's apart. Where should I source the pump? For that matter, where should I source all the gaskets? Thanks.

I will put in a high volume pump as cheap insurance while it's apart. Where should I source the pump? For that matter, where should I source all the gaskets? Thanks.

when i got my HV pump it was from auto zone and was actually 10$ cheaper than the stock PSI pump. wierd i know so i went with the HV pump and love it.

Definitely a no brainer. I will be upgrading the pump.

The more and more I think about this motor, the more I get tempted to build a stroker, although I'm a broke grad student who really can't afford it. Does anyone know of any good machine shops in CT?? I might as well start pricing out some machine work to see if I can swing a stroker build.

Back