• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep/Mopar "direct fit" slush mats for XJ/ZJ... Anyone else own them?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a set of the OEM Jeep/Mopar slush mats for my XJ through the dealership ($60 total, local pick-up), part number 82204675:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14060_815.htm

I did get the correct mats, however, I'm finding that they're not an exact fit. Has anyone else noticed this? They're cut to accommodate a dead pedal (I guess for the ZJ), but they don't seem to fit the XJ floor pans too well. On the driver side, the retention hook hole seems to be a bit too far back on the mat - when secured, it sits roughly 2" from the seat mount hump.

Anyone else see the same thing? They came with new retention hardware (basically a screw-type plastic plug) but I don't see how it'd move the driver side that far back.

I know, this is petty, but I figured if I was going to buy "fitted" slush mats they'd fit a bit better.

I just picked up a set of the OEM Jeep/Mopar slush mats for my XJ through the dealership ($60 total, local pick-up), part number 82204675:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14060_815.htm

I did get the correct mats, however, I'm finding that they're not an exact fit. Has anyone else noticed this? They're cut to accommodate a dead pedal (I guess for the ZJ), but they don't seem to fit the XJ floor pans too well. On the driver side, the retention hook hole seems to be a bit too far back on the mat - when secured, it sits roughly 2" from the seat mount hump.

Weird... I got the same set about 6 years ago from jeepsareus.com, and they fit fine in both my 2001 when I still had it and currently in the 2000 - they were only a few months old when the 2001 was totalled, so I swapped them over to the 2000.

Anyone else see the same thing? They came with new retention hardware (basically a screw-type plastic plug) but I don't see how it'd move the driver side that far back.

That's interesting, because mine came with no retaining hardware - they just had the hole cut out in the driver's side front mat to latch into the hook in the carpet. I'm wondering if part numbers weren't rationalised out as stocks dwindled, and Mopar subsequently started treating this set as a universal fit when it was originally made for <insert other model here>.

I'm not driving the XJ right now so can't go out to look for part numbers, but could check against yours when I get home later.

That'd be cool man - if you can take a pic of the driver side mat (the rearward part, near the seat) I'd really appreciate it just to be sure I'm not being an insufferable douche about this.

Odd thing is that if I unhook the driver side mat and try to slide it back to the rear of the footwell (front of the seat), it's too wide - seems like the transfer case hump in the floor pan prevents it from sitting in there too well.

I just figured that proper slush mats would fill the whole foot well to protect the carpet... I'll take a pic here in a bit on my next smoke break (working).

That'd be cool man - if you can take a pic of the driver side mat (the rearward part, near the seat) I'd really appreciate it just to be sure I'm not being an insufferable douche about this.

Sure, not a problem. It'll be a few hours, but it's totally doable.

Odd thing is that if I unhook the driver side mat and try to slide it back to the rear of the footwell (front of the seat), it's too wide - seems like the transfer case hump in the floor pan prevents it from sitting in there too well.

That's really bizarre; mine pretty much just fall into place. The rear ones don't cover as much floor area as I'd like, but the fronts are like a glove and don't move around at all, even on the (unhooked) passenger side.

I just figured that proper slush mats would fill the whole foot well to protect the carpet... I'll take a pic here in a bit on my next smoke break (working).

Good call - someone might be able to look at them and give a quick, "oh, yeah, those are actually for a ZJ" answer from them.

Good call - someone might be able to look at them and give a quick, "oh, yeah, those are actually for a ZJ" answer from them.
That's the weird thing - these are spec'd to fit the 84-01 XJ and 93-98 ZJ. I guess the floor pans were either identical or they found a happy medium to accommodate both models.

Pics (yeah, I know, the car is filthy):

floormat1.jpg

This is the retention mechanism that was included - the piece on the right was 2 pieces meant to sandwich the mat itself, which then snaps on to the screw-type thing on the left:

floormat2.jpg

I can't really figure out how the hell it applies to the XJ. In any case, the mat is secure against the factory hook and fits the footwell appropriately in that position, but that gap at the rear is pissing me off. If I slide it further back, it doesn't sit flat due to the T-case hump.

I'm beginning to believe this is just an aspect of the design, but could use confirmation.

Okay... For comparison (apologies for the crappy camera phone photos; my real camera's SNAFU right now):

pl9sa.jpg

This is the retention mechanism that was included - the piece on the right was 2 pieces meant to sandwich the mat itself, which then snaps on to the screw-type thing on the left:

Bizarre. I don't recall ever seeing those included with the mats that I bought, and I can't think of anywhere in the footwell that there would be someplace for them to attach to.

In any case, the mat is secure against the factory hook and fits the footwell appropriately in that position, but that gap at the rear is pissing me off. If I slide it further back, it doesn't sit flat due to the T-case hump.

Don't know how much this helps since there's no good way to judge scale, but:

htwxg.jpg

I'm beginning to believe this is just an aspect of the design, but could use confirmation.

They look pretty similar, all things considered. FWIW, I couldn't find part numbers moulded in anywhere on mine.

Try this: when you push the hook in, it should end up with its underside parallel to the mat. If it's not, give it a little extra oomph and see where everything ends up. I kind of remember having to do this a couple of times after going to the carwash and having the guys on the line pull the mats out to vacuum under them; they'd never quite get them lined up properly.

I'm almost wondering if the floor hook was place too far forward on yours at the factory, but that seems like a stretch from what I can see of where it's sitting.

I had the front mats in my 99, and took them out when totaled and have them currently in my 98 and no fitment issues. As far as I can tell in your pics, they fit like they should. They're not folded up or anything, right?

Back