• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 xj dana 44 u-bolt plate

Erics2000xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj with a Dana 35 and Im about ready to install my Dana 44 out of an 87 xj. Will the u-bolt plates from the 35 work on the 44? I have searched but I haven't been able to find the answer.
The only place I can find new u-bolt plates is from rusty's and they want over 20 dollars to ship them.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

I don't know off the top of my head, but I would imagine that the only difference would be the distance between the bolt holes front to back to accomodate larger u-bolts. If the D35 plates can fit the D44 u-bolts, there shouldn't be any problems. The width should be fine.

I'm sure someone else will chime in.

I recently bought a pair of OE U-bolt plates from the dealership ($16/ea IIRC) when installing my RE lift... They're the same for all axles, all years of the XJ. The holes for the U-bolts are elliptical in order to accommodate different tube diameters.

I reused my D35 plates when the D44 went in on my 2000. Had change the U-bolts, obviously, but they fit with the old plates.

Of course, this would be a good excuse to get a set of adjustable rear bumpstops ;)

I have a 2000 xj with a Dana 35 and Im about ready to install my Dana 44 out of an 87 xj. Will the u-bolt plates from the 35 work on the 44? I have searched but I haven't been able to find the answer.
The only place I can find new u-bolt plates is from rusty's and they want over 20 dollars to ship them.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Yes, you can re-use the same plates on a D35 and a D44. The same u-bolts will also work.

Back