• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding noise

chuck2000xj

NAXJA Forum User
So driving home tonight I started hearing a "grinding"/"rubbing" metal on metal sound that got louder and louder. I was finally able to determine that it was coming from the front driver's wheel. I stopped for a minute and then continued on. The noise continued and then finally went away. I'm wondering if it might be a bearing. Can someone please help me out.

I drove it this morning and no noise, but last night when it was making the noise the brakes did help a little. Then the "grinding" got to be too much and pressing the brake didnt do anything for it. After stopping and and then starting back up the noise slowly faded off.

I'd pull the front wheel off and inspect the caliper bracket for any signs of rubbing against the brake rotor (look for any "fresh" metal or scarring on the casting). Turn the rotor by hand and see if the same sound is audible. Lift the whole front axle and put it on jack stands to make things easier, as the sound could actually be elsewhere (but sound like the front left wheel due to your position in the car).

probably a wear indicator on your brake pads. when the caliper gets them close enough, it'll make a nice, annoying metallic scraping, grinding sound.

Another thing to check is the dust shield. It's just flimsy sheetmetal and can be bent easily so that it hits the rotor.

Lastly, check your castle nut cotter pins in the area. They can get bent so that the tips grind against the rotor.

I had a similar problem once and somehow one of my caliper bolts had worked itself all the way out so the caliper was slipping off and grinding against the inside of my wheel.

Back